West Virginia (19-8, 8-6) at Baylor (17-10, 7-7)
When: Tuesday, February 20th 2018
Where: Ferrell Center, Waco, TX
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: ESPN2
Opening Odds: Baylor -1.5/142
Two teams going in opposite directions will battle in a key conference matchup as the West Virginia Mountaineers visit the Baylor Bears at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas. Since defeating Baylor 57-54 on January 9th on a Jevon Carter 3-pointer in the final minute, the Mountaineers have dropped seven of 11 since and have fallen to the middle of the pack in the Big 12 standings with four games to go. Baylor is going the other way, following a four-game losing streak by winning its last five, including huge victories against the top two teams in the conference – Kansas and Texas Tech – in the last 10 days to vastly improve their seeding. The home teams has dominated this series of late, winning six of the last seven meetings including Baylor’s nine-point victory in Waco a year ago. West Virginia is currently tied with Kansas State for third place in the race for seeding for the upcoming Big 12 Conference Tournament.
The Mountaineers were frustrated in a 77-69 setback to Kansas in their last game as the Jayhawks had 35 free-throw attempts to two for West Virginia, leading to the late-game ejection of coach Bob Huggins. Carter, who is having a terrific senior season, struggled with his shooting for the fourth time in the last five games and committed five turnovers for the second straight contest. Prior to going 3-of-6 from 3-point range against Kansas, Carter was 2-of-11 from behind the arc over a four-game stretch. Daxter Miles Jr. got back on track with six 3-pointers in nine attempts after only making 6-of-31 from beyond the arc over his previous nine games, and his 22 points against the Jayhawks were his most in a game since Thanksgiving weekend.
The Bears are on quite a high right now with the upset of Kansas, a one-point double-overtime win at Texas and the defensive gem over league-leading Texas Tech. They limited the Red Raiders to 39.2% shooting – star guard Keenan Evans was 1-of-6 before hurting his foot – and Texas Tech shot just 3-of-14 from behind the arc while committing 18 turnovers. Terry Maston came off the bench for Baylor and scored 24 points, giving him 50 over the last two games and marking the fifth straight game in which he made at least half of his shot attempts. Baylor’s starters only made 8-of-28 shots against Texas Tech and, aside from Maston, the team was 8-of-35 from the floor.
This is an easy one for me to call. Not only are these teams going in opposite directions, but the home team has won six of the last seven. Unless Carter can get back on track for West Virginia, the Bears should have an easy time.
Pick: Baylor -1
- Mountaineers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 Tuesday games.
- Mountaineers are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games following a ATS loss.
- Bears are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Bears are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Bears are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Bears are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Bears are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games overall.
- Bears are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 vs. Big 12.
- Bears are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 home games.
- Under is 4-0 in Mountaineers last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 4-1 in Mountaineers last 5 overall.
- Under is 4-1 in Mountaineers last 5 vs. Big 12.
- Under is 8-3 in Mountaineers last 11 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 8-3 in Mountaineers last 11 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 33-16-2 in Mountaineers last 51 Tuesday games.
- Under is 6-1 in Bears last 7 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 4-1 in Bears last 5 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 12-4-1 in Bears last 17 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 8-3 in Bears last 11 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 5-2 in Bears last 7 Tuesday games.
- Under is 25-12 in Bears last 37 vs. Big 12.
- Favorite is 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- Home team is 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings.