Washington State (9-9, 1-5) at Utah (11-7, 3-4)
When: Sunday, January 21st 2018
Where: Jon M. Huntsman Center, Salt Lake City, UT
Time: 8:00 ET | TV: ESPNU
Opening Odds: Utah -12/147.5
The Utah Utes’ offense failed to show up in their Los Angeles trip last weekend, falling to both USC and UCLA, but can bounce back with a two-game sweep of the Washington schools on Sunday. Utah was scorched for a combined 167 points by UCLA and USC, including a combined 26-of-52 performance from 3-point range as their skid hit four games. Thursday was a different story in a 70-62 win over the Huskies at home as Washington shot only 38.5% from the field, including 2-of-18 beyond the arc, and finished with their second-lowest single-game scoring output of the season. Utah can get back to .500 in Pac-12 play when they host the Washington State Cougars on Sunday night. The Cougars have struggled since beginning the season 6-0 that included wins over Saint Mary’s and San Diego State. Washington State is 3-9 since and are coming off an 82-73 setback at Colorado on Thursday, dropping them into a last place tie with California. Utah has won eight of 10, including seven straight, in the series since joining the Pac-12 in 2011.
Washington State’s only Pac-12 win came against those Golden Bears, 78-53 on January 13th, but were unable to carry that momentum forward. Guards Viont’e Daniels and Carter Skaggs combined for 35 points including 11-for-20 from 3-point range in the game, but leading scorers Robert Franks (17.7 points) and Malachi Flynn (14.8) combined for only 13 points of 5-of-18 shooting, and eight personal fouls. Despite Franks’ team-high eight rebounds, the Cougars finished with a 39-29 deficit Thursday and rank next to last in the conference with a -1.8 rebound margin. After Washington State’s 15-of-34 3-point shooting performance against the Buffaloes, they have taken over the national lead with an average of 12.1 made 3’s per game.
Guard Justin Bibbins (14.3 points) had a game-high 20 points against Washington and has scored 12 or more in eighth straight games. Senior forward David Collette (13.5), forwards Donnie Tillman (10.5) and Tyler Rawson (10.4) and guard Sedrick Barefield (10.4) also have double-digit averages, while Bibbins is averaging a team-high 4.7 assists. Utah is a strong rebounding team with Rawson (6.3), Tillman (6.2) and Jayce Johnson (6.0) all averaging at least six rebounds per game, but are allowing too many boards on the other end of the floor and have an overall rebounding margin of -0.2.
Washington State’s 6-0 start was obviously a fluke and they still haven’t won a true road game this season (0-5). Utah always plays well at home and are a far better team than the Cougars. I can see this one getting ugly in a hurry.
Pick: Utah -10.5
- Cougars are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- Cougars are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games overall.
- Cougars are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 vs. Pacific-12.
- Cougars are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Cougars are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Cougars are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Cougars are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Cougars are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Utes are 36-14-2 ATS in their last 52 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Utes are 41-17-2 ATS in their last 60 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Utes are 0-2-2 ATS in their last 4 home games.
- Utes are 0-3-2 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Utes are 0-3-2 ATS in their last 5 vs. Pacific-12.
- Over is 5-0 in Cougars last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 5-0 in Cougars last 5 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 5-1 in Cougars last 6 road games.
- Under is 4-1 in Cougars last 5 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 7-2 in Cougars last 9 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 21-6 in Cougars last 27 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 28-9 in Cougars last 37 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 27-11 in Cougars last 38 vs. Pacific-12.
- Under is 39-19 in Cougars last 58 overall.
- Under is 9-2-1 in Utes last 12 Sunday games.
- Under is 4-1-1 in Utes last 6 home games.
- Under is 7-2-1 in Utes last 10 overall.
- Under is 5-2 in Utes last 7 vs. Pacific-12.
- Under is 5-2-1 in Utes last 8 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Under is 10-4 in Utes last 14 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings.
- Home team is 10-3 ATS in the last 13 meetings.
- Favorite is 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- Cougars are 2-5 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- Cougars are 1-6 ATS in the last 7 meetings in Utah.