Utah (5-5, 2-5) at Washington (8-2, 5-2)
When: Saturday, November 18th 2017
Where: Husky Stadium, Seattle, WA
Time: 10:30 ET | TV: ESPN
Opening Odds: Washington -17.5/47.5
After a 4-0 start to the season, the Utah Utes were setting their sites on a Pac-12 title and possible College Football Playoff berth, but now they are just hoping to win one of their final two games just to be bowl-eligible. The tougher of those two games takes place Saturday night as the Utes visit the Washington Huskies, who have a lot to play for themselves. Washington is out of the race for a CFP berth, but can still win the Pac-12 North and face USC in the title game, but will need help. Washington State controls its own destiny right now as two wins (one would be over Washington) would capture the North, while Stanford’s victory over the Huskies last Friday gives them an edge over Washington. The Utes have dropped five of six games since the 4-0 start and are coming off a sloppy performance in which they committed seven turnovers (four interceptions, three fumbles) in a 33-25 loss to Washington State. Washington has won nine of the previous 10 meetings, including a 31-24 win last season in Salt Lake City in which punt returner Dante Pettis had a game-winning 58-yard touchdown return, one of an NCAA-record nine during his career.
Sophomore quarterback Tyler Huntley (13 touchdowns) was intercepted three times in the loss to Washington State last week and now has nine on the season. He was good the previous week, however, against UCLA, throwing four touchdown passes. Senior receiver Darren Carrington II (58 receptions for 830 yards and six touchdowns) is Huntley’s No. 1 receiver, while sophomore running back Zack Moss (772 yards, seven touchdowns) leads a rushing attack that ranks 79th in the country. The Utes allow 24.1 points per game and Kavika Luafatasaga leads the defense with 66 tackles while fellow senior linebacker Sunia Tauteoli has a team-best 10 tackles for loss. Kicker Matt Gay is 22-of-26 on field goals this season and has set a school record with five from 50 or more yards.
Quarterback Jake Browning, who led the Huskies to the CFP last season, is one touchdown pass away from breaking a tie with Keith Price (75 from 2010-13) for most in school history. Running back Myles Gaskin (1,038 yards, 13 rushing touchdowns) has topped 100 yards in five of the past seven games and is tied for the school record with 37 career rushing touchdowns (Bishop Sankey (2011-13). Defensive tackle Vita Vea (30 tackles, three sacks) leads a defensive unit that ranks fourth in the nation in total defense (258.5), and second in points allowed (13.0). Junior linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven has recorded a team-leading 64 tackles, and will be without senior linebacker Azeem Victor after he was suspended indefinitely due to a DUI arrest.
The season may be a disappointment for the Huskies, but they still have a lot to play for including the Apple Cup next week against Washington State. Utah has been a free-fall and I don’t see them snapping out of it this week.
Pick: Washington -17.5
- Utes are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Utes are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 road games.
- Utes are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS loss.
- Utes are 5-1-1 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Utes are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Utes are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games on fieldturf.
- Utes are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Huskies are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games following a ATS loss.
- Huskies are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games on fieldturf.
- Huskies are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 home games.
- Huskies are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 conference games.
- Huskies are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games following a straight up loss.
- Huskies are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Over is 5-1 in Utes last 6 games following a ATS loss.
- Over is 4-1 in Utes last 5 games overall.
- Under is 4-1 in Utes last 5 games after allowing more than 280 yards passing in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Utes last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 4-1 in Utes last 5 conference games.
- Under is 7-2 in Utes last 9 games after accumulating less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Under is 19-9-1 in Utes last 29 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Under is 8-2 in Huskies last 10 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 8-2-1 in Huskies last 11 conference games.
- Over is 7-2-1 in Huskies last 10 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 3-1-1 in Huskies last 5 games in November.
- Under is 10-4-1 in Huskies last 15 games overall.
- Under is 7-3-1 in Huskies last 11 games on fieldturf.
- Underdog is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 meetings.