Texas Tech (22-5, 10-4) at Oklahoma State (15-12, 5-9)
When: Wednesday, February 21st 2018
Where: Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, OK
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: ESPNU
Opening Odds: Texas Tech -5/140.5
The Texas Tech Red Raiders will try and keep pace with first place Kansas and not look ahead to their huge matchup this Saturday, when they visit the Oklahoma State Cowboys on Wednesday night. The Red Raiders may not have the services of the conference’s second leading scorer in senior guard Keenan Evans, who is listed day-to-day after leaving Saturday’s loss at Baylor with a toe injury. The Red Raiders had a seven-game win streak snapped at Baylor their last time out, while Oklahoma State has lost six of eight, including an uncharacteristic three straight at home. Graduate transfer guard Kendall Smith has been hot for the Cowboys, who own a 22-4 record against Texas Tech at home. Oklahoma State (33.5% from 3-point land) is 12-1 when it makes nine or more 3-pointers, but the Red Raiders lead the Big 12 in 3-point percentage defense (30.8%). Interesting trend: The Cowboys are 5-1 in Big 12 games played on Saturday but 0-8 in weeknight league games.
Evans leads the Red Raiders with 18.2 points and head coach Chris Beard said, “It’s going to come down to just pain tolerance and can he move,” regarding Evans’ status for Wednesday. Freshman guard Zhaire Smith contributes 10.7 points after five straight games in double figures and fellow guard Jarrett Culver adds 10.8 points. The Red Raiders lead the league and are ranked fifth nationally in scoring defense (62.5 points) and are second in the Big 12 with 16.4 turnovers forced per game.
Kendall Smith, who averages 12.5 points a game, has upped that to 17.5 over the past eight, including hitting 51.6% from the 3-point line. Senior Jeffrey Carroll leads the Cowboys with 15.0 points and 6.0 rebounds and became one of 14 Oklahoma State players to be ranked in the top 25 of the school’s career scoring and rebounding lists. Junior Tavarius Shine contributes 10.7 points and senior forward Mitchell Solomon adds 8.3 points and a team-best 6.2 rebounds.
I believe Evans will go in this one, but either way, it’s all about the Red Raiders’ defense that will ultimately step up once again and thwart the struggling Oklahoma State team. It’s hard to believe, but the Cowboys will lose their fourth-straight home game on Wednesday.
Pick: Texas Tech -3.5
- Red Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Red Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big 12.
- Red Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Red Raiders are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight up loss.
- Cowboys are 15-7 ATS in their last 22 games following a ATS loss.
- Cowboys are 5-11 ATS in their last 16 vs. Big 12.
- Cowboys are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Cowboys are 2-10 ATS in their last 12 home games.
- Cowboys are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 Wednesday games.
- Under is 19-7 in Red Raiders last 26 Wednesday games.
- Under is 13-5 in Red Raiders last 18 vs. Big 12.
- Under is 38-15 in Red Raiders last 53 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 5-2 in Red Raiders last 7 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 19-8 in Red Raiders last 27 overall.
- Under is 38-18 in Red Raiders last 56 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 39-19 in Red Raiders last 58 road games.
- Over is 4-0 in Cowboys last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Over is 4-1 in Cowboys last 5 overall.
- Under is 12-3 in Cowboys last 15 home games.
- Over is 4-1 in Cowboys last 5 vs. Big 12.
- Under is 6-2 in Cowboys last 8 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 9-4 in Cowboys last 13 Wednesday games.
- Red Raiders are 1-4 ATS in the last 5 meetings.
- Road team is 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.
- Underdog is 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings.
- Red Raiders are 1-6 ATS in the last 7 meetings in Oklahoma State.