St John’s (8-1) vs Arizona State (7-0)
When: Friday, December 8th 2017
Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
Time: 8:00 ET | TV: Pac-12 Network
Opening Odds: Arizona State -4.5/160
The Arizona State Sun Devils will seek to remain one of nine remaining unbeaten teams in the country when they battle the St. John’s Red Storm on Friday night as part of the Hall of Fame Classic at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The high-flying Sun Devils are averaging 92.7 points but will be tested by a tough St. John’s defense that has held opponents to 60.0 points per game on 36.1% shooting. Arizona State moved into the national rankings for the first time in nine seasons after beating Kansas State and Xavier last week in Las Vegas. Senior guards Shannon Evans II, Tra Holder and Kodi Justice are each averaging at least 15.0 points for the Sun Devils, who will visit an angry No. 2 Kansas team on Sunday. The Jayhawks were just upset at home to Arizona State conference-foe Washington. During St. John’s current three-game winning streak, the Red Storm have held their opponents to an average of 52.7 points and forced 22.3 turnovers. St. John’s won the only previous meeting (67-58) between the teams in the championship game of the 2010 now-defunct, Great Alaska Shootout.
Sophomore guard Shamorie Ponds leads the team in scoring at 20.2 points a game and registered a team-high 28 on Tuesday as the Red Storm opened its two-game Western swing with a 68-60 win over Grand Canyon. Guard Justin Simon, a transfer from Arizona, added a double-double in the win and ranks third in the Big East in rebounding at 8.3 per game. Coach Chris Mullin is hopeful that guard Marcus LoVett (14.9 points per game) can return Friday after missing the last two games due to a sprained left knee, but is listed as doubtful as of Thursday night. Forward Marvin Clark II, a transfer from Michigan State, is averaging 9.4 points while shooting 51.9% from 3-point range.
The Sun Devils eclipsed 90 points in each of their first six games, but were held to a season-low point total in last Saturday’s 75-57 win over San Francisco. Freshman forward Romello White scored 16 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead five players in double figures as the Sun Devils proved to be far more superior than the Dons. Arizona State’s defense held San Francisco to a dismal 28.6% shooting. White is averaging 15.7 points and 9.3 rebounds for the Sun Devils, whose frontcourt will welcome back Ohio State-transfer Mickey Mitchell on Sunday when Arizona State faces Kansas.
This is an Arizona State team that I think will be much better than their middle-of-the-pack-projections for the Pac-12 indicate. The Red Storm are a decent team, but I think they will be outmatched here tonight.
Pick: Arizona State -5
- Red Storm are 3-9-1 ATS in their last 13 Friday games.
- Red Storm are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Red Storm are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 neutral site games.
- Red Storm are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Sun Devils are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Sun Devils are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Sun Devils are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games overall.
- Sun Devils are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Sun Devils are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 non-conference games.
- Sun Devils are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Sun Devils are 13-6-1 ATS in their last 20 Friday games.
- Sun Devils are 9-25 ATS in their last 34 neutral site games.
- Sun Devils are 3-9 ATS in their last 12 vs. Big East.
- Under is 5-2 in Red Storm last 7 overall.
- Under is 5-2 in Red Storm last 7 vs. Pacific-12.
- Under is 5-2 in Red Storm last 7 non-conference games.
- Over is 5-0 in Sun Devils last 5 vs. Big East.
- Over is 3-0-1 in Sun Devils last 4 Friday games.
- Over is 5-1-1 in Sun Devils last 7 overall.
- Over is 5-1 in Sun Devils last 6 neutral site games.
- Over is 4-1-1 in Sun Devils last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 3-1-1 in Sun Devils last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 15-5-1 in Sun Devils last 21 non-conference games.
- Over is 24-9-1 in Sun Devils last 34 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.