San Jose (22-13-6) at Los Angeles (24-14-5)
When: Monday, January 15th 2018
Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
Time: 4:05 ET | TV: NHL Network
Opening Odds: Los Angeles -125/5.5
The Los Angeles Kings look to get back on track when they host Pacific Division-rival the San Jose Sharks on Monday afternoon at Staples Center. The Kings, who are currently 0-2-0 on their four-game homestand, would match their longest losing streak of the season with a loss here on Monday. San Jose completed a 1-2-2 road trip before outlasting Arizona 6-5 in overtime at SAP Center on Saturday, and will now begin a three-game excursion. San Jose trails third place L.A. by three points, but have played two less games than the Kings. Defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic scored the winner 2:42 into overtime on Saturday while Joonas Donskoi recorded two goals – including the game-tying one with 16 seconds remaining in the third period – and an assist to lead four players with three-point performances for the Sharks. The Kings enter with a three-game overall losing streak after Saturday’s 4-2 setback against Anaheim. Jonathan Quick has allowed 11 goals during the skid and his save percentage is just .854 over the last two. Captain Anze Kopitar ended his eight-game goal-scoring drought, while extending his point streak to four games in the loss to the Ducks. The Sharks have won two of the three meetings this season, including a 2-1 win at Staples Center on November 12th.
San Jose’s Joe Thornton recorded a goal and two assists Saturday, moving him one point ahead of Adam Oates (1,420) for 17th place on the all-time list. Thornton is also five assists away from tying Mario Lemieux (1,033) for 11th place on that list. Reigning Norris Trophy winner Brent Burns, who leads the team with 33 points, has recorded at least a point in 13 of his last 15 games and has seven multi-point performances in that span. Goalie Martin Jones, who was pulled Saturday after allowing three goals on six shots, is expected to be in net against the Kings.
Defenseman Jake Muzzin, who has missed two games with an upper-body injury, practiced on Sunday and hopes to be medically cleared to play against San Jose. Drew Doughty is tied for third on the team with 30 points but has recorded just one in his last four games. Doughty’s next goal will be his 100th in the NHL. The Kings recalled center Jonny Brodzinski, who recorded two goals in 22 games with the club earlier this season, from Ontario of the AHL.
Both starting goalies are a little shaky right now, but you know Quick’s slump won’t last. L.A. still boasts the best penalty killing unit in the league and should be able to slow down the road-weary Sharks at home.
Pick: Kings -130
- Sharks are 4-0 in their last 4 vs. Pacific.
- Sharks are 20-8 in their last 28 after allowing 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Sharks are 11-5 in their last 16 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Sharks are 3-14 in their last 17 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Sharks are 1-5 in their last 6 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Sharks are 1-6 in their last 7 road games.
- Kings are 7-3 in their last 10 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Kings are 84-41 in their last 125 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Kings are 2-5 in their last 7 when their opponent allows 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Kings are 2-5 in their last 7 overall.
- Kings are 2-5 in their last 7 vs. Western Conference.
- Kings are 3-8 in their last 11 vs. Pacific.
- Kings are 1-4 in their last 5 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Kings are 1-5 in their last 6 when their opponent scores 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Kings are 1-6 in their last 7 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Kings are 1-8 in their last 9 Monday games.
- Under is 7-1-1 in Sharks last 9 after allowing 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Under is 6-1 in Sharks last 7 Monday games.
- Under is 5-1 in Sharks last 6 after scoring 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Under is 35-11-14 in Sharks last 60 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Under is 26-11-17 in Sharks last 54 vs. Pacific.
- Under is 23-11 in Sharks last 34 overall.
- Under is 41-20-16 in Sharks last 77 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Kings last 5 overall.
- Under is 4-1 in Kings last 5 Monday games.
- Over is 4-1 in Kings last 5 vs. Western Conference.
- Under is 5-2 in Kings last 7 when their opponent allows 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Under is 33-14-13 in Kings last 60 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Under is 7-3-1 in Kings last 11 vs. Pacific.
- Under is 9-4 in Kings last 13 home games.
- Under is 1-0-3 in the last 4 meetings in Los Angeles.
- Sharks are 8-1 in the last 9 meetings in Los Angeles.
- Under is 6-1-5 in the last 12 meetings.
- Sharks are 10-4 in the last 14 meetings.
- Road team is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings.
Trends courtesy of SportsOptions.com – an UltimateCapper.com partner