Rhode Island (21-3, 13-0) at St Bonaventure (19-6, 9-4)
When: Friday, February 16th 2018
Where: Reilly Center, St. Bonaventure, NY
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: ESPN2
Opening Odds: Rhode Island -1
If the Rhode Island Rams want to remain perfect in the Atlantic 10, they’ll have to do it without one of its top players, as they visit the red-hot St. Bonaventure Bonnies on Friday night. Senior E.C. Matthews’ knee injury will make a 16th straight victory even more difficult for the Rams, who will face a Bonnies team that is currently on a school record seven game conference winning streak. The Rams’ streak started on December 16th when Matthews returned from a wrist injury, but was hurt late in the first half of Tuesday’s 85-67 victory over Richmond. The Rams went 4-2 in the games Matthews (12.9 points, 3.9 rebounds) missed earlier in the season in addition to falling to Nevada in the game that he hurt his wrist. Matthews finished with two points against Richmond, but they were good enough to move him into a tie for sixth place with Steve Chubin (1962-64) on Rhode Island’s all-time scoring list with 1,751 points. The Bonnies are led by stars Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley, who have used some hot long range shooting to win their last seven games by an average of 13.3 points after opening 3-4 in conference. The two seniors, who are the top scoring duo in the Atlantic 10 at 39 points per game, have combined to hit a sizzling 60-of-116 from beyond the arc during the win streak. The Rams have won three straight and five of six against the Bonnies, including an 87-73 victory last month that increased their series lead to 38-28.
The Rams do have enough depth on the bench to overcome a short-term absence for Matthews as five players scored in double figures in the victory over Richmond. Jared Terrell, who is averaging 17.5 points and has 20 career 20-point games, is the top option, but Andre Berry (9.6 points), Jeff Dowtin (8.9), Fatts Russell (6.9) and Cyril Langevine (5.7, team-leading 24 blocks) can also step in. The Rams have put five players in double figures in four games this season and each time it has been a different combination of players – which is proof of the quality of their depth.
Adams has been on fire over the past four games, averaging 33.5 points and 6.2 assists while making 60.5% of his 3-point attempts. Adams was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week for his efforts one week after Mobley, who put up 35 points and 11 rebounds January 31st against George Mason, won the award. Mobley, who began his career by scoring 737 points in two seasons at Central Connecticut State, and Adams have a combined 3,558 career points.
The Bonnies are on fire right now behind Adams and Mobley, but the Rams defend the three well, and until they lose, I can’t go against them. Rhode Island has a solid team and can withstand the loss of Matthews.
Pick: Rhode Island -1
- Rams are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Rams are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 Friday games.
- Rams are 10-3-1 ATS in their last 14 road games.
- Rams are 24-8-1 ATS in their last 33 games following a straight up win.
- Rams are 20-7-1 ATS in their last 28 games following a ATS win.
- Rams are 20-7 ATS in their last 27 vs. Atlantic 10.
- Rams are 22-8-1 ATS in their last 31 games overall.
- Rams are 8-3-1 ATS in their last 12 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Rams are 8-3-1 ATS in their last 12 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Rams are 10-4-1 ATS in their last 15 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Bonnies are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 home games.
- Bonnies are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Bonnies are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Over is 10-2 in Rams last 12 road games.
- Over is 9-2 in Rams last 11 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 9-2 in Rams last 11 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 4-1 in Rams last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 4-1 in Rams last 5 Friday games.
- Under is 4-1 in Rams last 5 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 6-0 in Bonnies last 6 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 5-1 in Bonnies last 6 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 4-1 in Bonnies last 5 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 20-6 in Bonnies last 26 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 9-4 in Bonnies last 13 overall.
- Over is 9-4 in Bonnies last 13 vs. Atlantic 10.
- Over is 20-9 in Bonnies last 29 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Favorite is 4-0 ATS in the last 4 meetings.
- Home team is 4-0 ATS in the last 4 meetings.
- Over is 7-1 in the last 8 meetings in St. Bonaventure.
- Under is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings.
- Rams are 4-9 ATS in the last 13 meetings.
- Rams are 1-4 ATS in the last 5 meetings in St. Bonaventure.