LA Rams (9-4) at Seattle (8-5)
When: Sunday, December 17th 2017
Where: CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA
Time: 4:05 ET | TV: FOX
Opening Odds: Seattle -1.5/47.5
The Los Angeles Rams might have a one-game lead over the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC West, but Sunday’s showdown is a must-win for L.A. if they want to win the division. The Rams are vying for their first playoff berth since 2004 and can move closer to making that a reality when they visit the Northwest on Sunday. The Rams could clinch a postseason spot this Sunday, but a loss will forge a tie for first place in the NFC West and put the Seahawks in the driver’s seat by virtue of sweeping the season series. Seattle posted a 16-10 victory in Los Angeles earlier this season, holding the Rams to their second-lowest point total of the season. L.A., which has the No. 2 scoring offense in the league, has scored 26 or more in three straight games after a 24-7 setback in Minnesota on November 19th. The Seahawks are fighting through a slew of defensive injuries, but held the 49ers and Eagles to 23 combined points in consecutive wins, but fell to the Jacksonville Jaguars last week 30-24. Seattle has won the last two meetings with the Rams, outscoring them 40-13.
Quarterback Jared Goff (3,383 yards, 22 touchdowns) and running back Todd Gurley (1,035 rushing yards) help lead the Rams to an average of 30.5 points a game, but other guys are playing big roles in the offense. Rookie wide receiver Cooper Kupp has been one of the biggest surprises of the entire league. The Eastern Washington product has set a franchise rookie record with 56 catches while his 783 receiving yards rank third among this year’s rookie class. The Rams will get another offensive weapon back on Sunday as wideout Robert Woods (shoulder) is expected to return after a three-game abscence. Los Angeles lost a key member of the secondary when cornerback Kayvon Webster suffered a season-ending Achilles’ tendon injury last Sunday against Philadelphia but continues to get strong play from Robert Quinn (four sacks in his last three games) and defensive tackle Aaron Donald (team-leading eight sacks).
Seattle’s defense continues to play well despite the rash of injuries, ranking eighth in scoring defense at 19.4 points per game, but middle linebacker Bobby Wagner (hamstring) and outside linebacker K.J. Wright (concussion) are both questionable for Sunday. The offense is turning into a one-man show with Russell Wilson passing for 3,527 yards and ranks second in the NFL with 29 touchdown passes. Wilson is also Seattle’s leading rusher at 482 yards on the season and will be going up against a Rams defense that ranks 27th against the run (124.1). Wilson’s favorite target is probably tight end Jimmy Graham, who is second at his position in touchdown catches (nine), but its Doug Baldwin who leads the team in receptions (66) and yards (860). Seattle will be at Dallas next week before closing the season out against Arizona at home.
The Rams are probably the better overall team, but the offense is going to have trouble in Seattle. The Seahawks should do a good job at disrupting Goff and the flow. I expect Wilson to use his legs to run and pass all over the Rams defense. The pressure is on Los Angeles to win this game and I think they’re still too young and inexperienced to handle it.
Pick: Seattle -1
- Rams are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Rams are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Rams are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games overall.
- Rams are 29-59-1 ATS in their last 89 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Rams are 8-18-1 ATS in their last 27 games on fieldturf.
- Rams are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games following a straight up loss.
- Rams are 5-12-1 ATS in their last 18 vs. NFC.
- Rams are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 vs. NFC West.
- Rams are 4-11-1 ATS in their last 16 games in Week 15.
- Rams are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games in December.
- Seahawks are 5-0-1 ATS in their last 6 games in Week 15.
- Seahawks are 9-2-1 ATS in their last 12 games following a straight up loss.
- Seahawks are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games after allowing more than 150 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Seahawks are 24-8-3 ATS in their last 35 games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Seahawks are 20-7-1 ATS in their last 28 games in December.
- Seahawks are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Seahawks are 1-5-1 ATS in their last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Seahawks are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Over is 6-1 in Rams last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- Over is 5-1 in Rams last 6 road games.
- Under is 10-2 in Rams last 12 games after allowing more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Over is 5-1 in Rams last 6 games following a straight up loss.
- Over is 8-2 in Rams last 10 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Under is 10-3-1 in Rams last 14 games in Week 15.
- Under is 12-4 in Rams last 16 games on fieldturf.
- Under is 25-9 in Rams last 34 games in December.
- Under is 11-4 in Rams last 15 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Under is 13-5 in Rams last 18 games after allowing more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Under is 10-4 in Rams last 14 vs. NFC West.
- Under is 35-16 in Rams last 51 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 4-0 in Seahawks last 4 vs. NFC West.
- Under is 4-0 in Seahawks last 4 games in Week 15.
- Under is 8-1 in Seahawks last 9 vs. NFC.
- Over is 5-1 in Seahawks last 6 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Over is 5-1 in Seahawks last 6 games after allowing more than 150 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Under is 5-2 in Seahawks last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 14-6 in Seahawks last 20 games in December.
- Under is 5-0 in the last 5 meetings in Seattle.
- Underdog is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings.
- Home team is 7-2 ATS in their last 9 meetings.
- Under is 15-5-1 in the last 21 meetings.
- Rams are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 meetings in Seattle.