Oakland (1-0) at LA Rams (0-1)
When: Friday, August 17th 2018
Where: L.A. Coliseum, Los Angeles
Time: 4:00 ET | TV: NFL Network
Opening Odds: Los Angeles -3/40.5
Jon Gruden’s return to the NFL was a successful one last week, as his Oakland Raiders opened up the preseason schedule with a 16-10 home victory over the Detroit Lions, covering the 3-point spread. Week 2 will get a little tougher as they hit the road to take on the high-powered Los Angeles Rams at the Coliseum. Oakland’s victory last week improved Gruden to 31-16 straight-up in his preseason coaching career and 7-2 ATS in his last nine. Los Angeles went to Baltimore in Week 1 and got throttled 33-7 by the Ravens to drop head coach Sean McVay’s preseason record to 2-3 SU and ATS. The two best defensive players on these rosters – Khalil Mack (Oakland) and Aaron Donald (L.A.) – will not see action as both are still holding out for more money. The Rams opened as 3-point favorites in this one, but the line is currently -2.5 as of Thursday night with a total set at 38.5.
With starting quarterback Derek Carr playing only the first drive last week, backup Connor Cook got his chance to shine. The former Michigan State signal-caller completed 11-of-19 last week for 141 yards and one touchdown against the Lions. Carr is expected to get a little more action in Saturday’s contest against the Rams. Running back Chris Warren, III made a positive first impression, running for a game-high 86 yards on 13 carries. The Raiders defense recorded four sacks and held Detroit to just 227 yards of total offense.
Los Angeles’ offense, which led the league last season at 29.9 points per game, looked terrible in Week 1 with Jared Goff not getting any playing time. The Rams totaled just 170 yards and backup Sean Mannion completed just 3-of-13 for 16 yards and an interception against the Ravens. Brandon Allen was better (10-of-15, 1 TD), but the Rams don’t really care how they play in preseason. They just want to keep their star players healthy.
The Rams are built for the Super Bowl, not the preseason. They have a lot of high-priced star players, which means their depth is weak. I think the Raiders are a good play here on the road.
Pick: Raiders +2.5
- Raiders are 3-9-2 ATS in their last 14 games overall.
- Raiders are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games on grass.
- Raiders are 1-5-1 ATS in their last 7 road games.
- Rams are 4-11-1 ATS in their last 16 home games.
- Rams are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Rams are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 Saturday games.
- Rams are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games on grass.
- Under is 7-0 in Raiders last 7 games overall.
- Under is 7-0 in Raiders last 7 games on grass.
- Under is 9-3 in Raiders last 12 road games.
- Over is 5-1 in Rams last 6 games overall.
- Over is 4-1 in Rams last 5 games on grass.
- Under is 5-2 in Rams last 7 home games.
- Raiders are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 meetings.