Oakland (1-6) at San Francisco (1-7)
When: Tuesday, November 1st 2018
Where: Levi’s Stadium,
Santa Clara, California
Time: 8:20 ET | TV: FOX
Opening Odds: San Francisco -3.5/46.5
Things have not gone according to plan in the Bay area this year, as the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers were thought of as legitimate contenders in their respective conferences. As we begin Week 9 of the NFL schedule, the Raiders and 49ers are battling for a possible No. 1 draft pick in 2019, as they are a combined 2-13 heading into their Thursday Night Football clash. The Raiders came in with a lot of hype, adding former ESPN analyst Jon Gruden as their head coach in the offseason and were only two years removed from a 12-4 season and playoff berth. The 49ers were slotted for a handful of prime-time games because they were considered a rising power under new star quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who led the team to five straight wins to close the 2017 season after coming over in trade from New England. Needless to say, things haven’t gone well on either side of the Bay. Oakland came out of its bye week flat on Sunday and lost 42-28 at home to Indianapolis in their first game since trading top receiver Amari Cooper to Dallas for a 2019 first-round pick. Oakland was outscored 21-0 in the fourth quarter and allowed 461 yards overall. San Francisco dropped an 18-15 decision to lowly Arizona, giving the Cardinals their only two wins of the year. The Raiders lead the all-time series with their neighbors 7-6, although five of those games were played while the Raiders were based in Los Angeles.
The Raiders didn’t make anymore moves on Tuesday’s trade deadline, but they did lose a player with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie announcing his retirement on Instagram. Despite the loss to the Colts last week, quarterback Derek Carr recorded a season-high 136.6 passer rating, throwing for three touchdown passes before the Raiders surrendered 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter. Veteran Doug Martin rushed for 72 yards in place of an injured Marshawn Lynch and tight end Jared Cook reeled in four catches for 74 yards and a score. The effects of Khalil Mack’s departure has hampered the pass rush, which has an NFL-low 7.0 sacks.
The Niners have lost six straight games and could be without quarterback C.J. Beathard, who was unable to practice Tuesday due to a sore right wrist. It sounds like Beathard will be a game time decision on Thursday, and if he’s unable to go, San Francisco will turn to undrafted free agent Nick Mullens. Leading receiver and tight end George Kittle, will be the top target for whoever is under center. Kittle has a team-high 37 receptions and at least five in six of eight games. The 49ers are 21st in the league in passing defense (262.5 yards) and 28th in points allowed at 29.5.
Its hard to imagine Beathard being able to play 100% in this game, and even if he is, he’s not that good. Both defenses are bad, but Oakland has the ability to outscore San Fran in this one.
Pick: Raiders +2.5
- Raiders are 3-0-1 ATS in their last 4 games in Week 9.
- Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
- Raiders are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Raiders are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games following a double-digit loss at home.
- Raiders are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Raiders are 2-7-1 ATS in their last 10 road games.
- Raiders are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Raiders are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games on grass.
- Raiders are 0-4-2 ATS in their last 6 games after allowing more than 150 yards rushing in their previous game.
- 49ers are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games following a straight up loss.
- 49ers are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games on grass.
- 49ers are 4-11 ATS in their last 15 games in Week 9.
- 49ers are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 Thursday games.
- 49ers are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- 49ers are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games overall.
- 49ers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 home games.
- Under is 4-0 in Raiders last 4 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Over is 8-0 in Raiders last 8 games in Week 9.
- Under is 5-1 in Raiders last 6 games following a double-digit loss at home.
- Under is 5-1 in Raiders last 6 road games.
- Under is 11-3 in Raiders last 14 games overall.
- Under is 11-3 in Raiders last 14 games on grass.
- Over is 18-6-3 in Raiders last 27 games in November.
- Under is 5-2 in Raiders last 7 games after allowing more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Under is 5-2 in Raiders last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- Over is 4-1 in 49ers last 5 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Over is 4-1 in 49ers last 5 home games.
- Over is 8-2 in 49ers last 10 games on grass.
- Over is 4-1 in 49ers last 5 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Over is 4-1 in 49ers last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 4-1 in 49ers last 5 games in Week 9.
- Under is 14-5 in 49ers last 19 games in November.
- Over is 8-3 in 49ers last 11 games overall.
- Under is 8-3 in 49ers last 11 Thursday games.