Purdue (6-2) at Maryland (6-2)
When: Friday, December 1st 2017
Where: XFINITY Center, College Park, MD
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: Big Ten Network
Opening Odds: Purdue -2.5/147
After a fairly-successful non-conference portion of their schedules, the Purdue Boilermakers and Maryland Terrapins are set to open Big Ten play on Friday night in College Park, MD. After breezing through their first four opponents by an average of 39.3 points, Purdue dropped an overtime thriller to Tennessee and was upset by Western Kentucky 77-73 in its first two games of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament in the Bahamas. The Boilermakers bounced back and took the final game by beating then-No. 4 Arizona by 25 points. Purdue then came back to the states and knocked off another ranked team on Tuesday, battling through a 33.3% shooting effort at home to defeat No. 17 Louisville 66-57. The Terrapins won their first five games before dropping a couple of two-point losses in their last three – a two-point neutral-site loss to St. Bonaventure last week and a 72-70 setback at Syracuse on Monday. The teams played just once last year, a 73-72 Purdue win in College Park.
Despite playing only 21 minutes due to early foul trouble, Isaac Haas drew five fouls over a two-plus minute stretch after halftime to spark a 16-3 run that propelled Purdue past Louisville on Tuesday. Haas suffered an elbow injury that prevented him from being able to make a fist after the game. Purdue opened the Louisville game by hitting just 1 of their first 16 3-point attempts and finished 5-of-23 from beyond the arc, although sharpshooter Dakota Mathias hit 3-of-8. Matt Haarms (three blocks per game) turned away four more shots Tuesday and moved into a first-place tie in school history for the most such games (four) by a Purdue freshman already. Haarms’ 25 blocks through eight games is already the eighth-highest total by a freshman in school history.
Sophomore guard Kevin Huerter (12.3 points) played well above his averages in Monday’s loss at Syracuse, recording 23 points on 8-of-11 from the field and 7-of-9 beyond the arc – tying a career high for made 3-pointers. Sophomore Justin Jackson (9.1 points, 8.8 rebounds) continues to struggle, committing four turnovers for the fourth straight game to increase his Big Ten-leading total to 24. Maryland has big issues holding onto the ball in the early-going, committing 20 versus St. Bonaventure and 18 against Syracuse. Freshman center Bruno Fernando is tied for third in the conference in field-goal percentage (66.0) and ranks fourth in blocks (2.4), swatting away exactly three shots in each game over his last five. The Terrapins were able to record assists on 22 of 23 made baskets on Monday.
Maryland is a young team that is still learning how to win close games. Purdue is the more experienced squad and should have little trouble opening conference play with a victory on the road.
Pick: Purdue -2
- Boilermakers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Boilermakers are 11-4-1 ATS in their last 16 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Boilermakers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 road games following three or more consecutive home games.
- Boilermakers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Boilermakers are 24-10-1 ATS in their last 35 games following a straight up win.
- Boilermakers are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big Ten.
- Terrapins are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 home games.
- Terrapins are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Terrapins are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Terrapins are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Terrapins are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Terrapins are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 vs. Big Ten.
- Terrapins are 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 Friday games.
- Over is 5-1 in Boilermakers last 6 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 9-2 in Boilermakers last 11 overall.
- Over is 4-1 in Boilermakers last 5 Friday games.
- Over is 6-2 in Boilermakers last 8 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 5-2 in Boilermakers last 7 road games.
- Under is 5-2 in Boilermakers last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 5-2 in Boilermakers last 7 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 5-2 in Boilermakers last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 5-0 in Terrapins last 5 home games.
- Under is 5-0 in Terrapins last 5 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 5-1 in Terrapins last 6 overall.
- Under is 11-3 in Terrapins last 14 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Over is 13-5 in Terrapins last 18 Friday games.
- Over is 5-2-1 in Terrapins last 8 vs. Big Ten.
- Boilermakers are 0-2-2 ATS in the last 4 meetings.