New Orleans (20-23) at LA Clippers (24-18)
When: Monday, January 14th, 2019
Where: Staples Center,
Los Angeles, California
Time: 10:35 ET | TV: FS New Orleans,
FS Prime Ticket
Opening Odds: Los Angeles -3.5/237
The New Orleans Pelicans are on the outside looking-in when it comes to a postseason berth and part of their problem is their inability to win away from the Big Easy. Things get a lot tougher now, as the Pelicans don’t play back-to-back home games at home for another month. They will continue their current five-game road trip when they visit the Los Angeles Clippers Monday night at Staples Center. New Orleans took care of business in beating up lowly Cleveland and Memphis during a three-game winning streak but dropped a 110-106 decision at Minnesota on Saturday to open the trip, putting them at 5-17 on the road and three games out of a playoff spot entering Sunday’s action. The Clippers dropped a 109-104 decision to the Detroit Pistons on Saturday in Blake Griffin’s return to Los Angeles. The Clippers will try and bounce back in the second game of their four-game homestand and avoid a third consecutive loss. Los Angeles outshot Detroit from the field (48.6 percent to 43.5) and from 3-point land (50 percent to 43.2) but were outrebounded 53-42 and hit seven fewer 3-pointers. After Monday’s game, the Clippers homestand will conclude with visits from other Western Conference contenders, Utah and Golden State. The teams split the first two meetings this season in New Orleans.
Superstar forward Anthony Davis continues to show whey he’s one of the best players – if not the best – in the entire league, averaging 34.7 points on 59.3 percent shooting over the last three games. Davis (30 points and 14 rebounds) and Julius Randle (22 points and 11 boards) both recorded a double-double in Saturday’s loss in Minnesota, as the Pelicans scored just 17 points in the fourth quarter. New Orleans inability to make long range shots hurt them on Saturday (5-of-25), as Jrue Holiday (0-of-4), E’Twaun Moore (0-of-3) and Nikola Mirotic (1-of-6) had off nights.
Its hard to name many players on this Clippers team after the departures of both Griffin and rebounding-machine DeAndre Jordan, so they’re getting everyone in on the action and have used depth to a winning record thus far. The bench outscored the starters in Saturday’s loss with Montrezl Harrell (21 points) and Lou Williams (22) leading the way. Starting forward Tobias Harris, who averages 20.8 points on the season, was held to 11 on 4-of-9 shooting against the Pistons. Starting shooting guard Avery Bradley is averaging just five points on 30.8 percent shooting in his last six games.
The Pelicans may have the best player on the court in this one, but he’s doing it all by himself. New Orleans is also dreadful on the road, winning just five games overall and 8-14 ATS. L.A. just has a better overall team and this is not a lot of points to lay at home.
Pick: Clippers -2.5
- Pelicans are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 vs. Western Conference.
- Pelicans are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 after allowing 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Pelicans are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 when their opponent scores 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Pelicans are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Pelicans are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 vs. NBA Pacific.
- Pelicans are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 road games.
- Pelicans are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Clippers are 8-2 ATS in their last 10 when their opponent scores 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Clippers are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 vs. Western Conference.
- Clippers are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 when their opponent allows 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Pelicans last 5 road games.
- Over is 4-1 in Pelicans last 5 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 4-1 in Pelicans last 5 vs. Western Conference.
- Over is 6-2 in Pelicans last 8 Monday games.
- Over is 5-2 in Pelicans last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 5-2 in Pelicans last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 9-4 in Pelicans last 13 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 5-0 in Clippers last 5 Monday games.
- Under is 5-0 in Clippers last 5 after allowing 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Under is 5-1 in Clippers last 6 overall.
- Under is 5-1 in Clippers last 6 when their opponent scores 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Under is 5-1 in Clippers last 6 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 5-1 in Clippers last 6 after scoring 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Under is 4-1 in Clippers last 5 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Under is 4-1 in Clippers last 5 when their opponent allows 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Over is 7-2 in Clippers last 9 vs. NBA Southwest.
- Over is 7-3 in Clippers last 10 home games.
- Over is 11-5-1 in Clippers last 17 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Pelicans are 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- Over is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings in LA.
- Under is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings.
- Road team is 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.