Carolina (7-3) at NY Jets (4-6)
When: Sunday, November 26th 2017
Where: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
Time: 1:00 ET | TV: FOX
Opening Odds: Carolina -5/39.5
Two teams coming off their bye week will get back in action on Sunday afternoon as the New York Jets host the resurgent Carolina Panthers at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. The Panthers have appeared to regain the form they showed two years ago during their 15-1 run to the Super Bowl and will look to keep pace with the New Orleans Saints in the NFC South standings. Quarterback Cam Newton is back in MVP-form and is coming off his best game of the season before the bye, throwing for 254 yards and four touchdowns while adding 95 yards on five carries in a 45-21 Monday night win over the Miami Dolphins. The Panthers can’t be looking ahead, however, before their big matchup with the Saints set for next week. The Jets have fought hard all year, but have now dropped four of the last five games. New York went into its bye with a tough 15-10 loss at Tampa Bay, but is only one game out of a wild-card spot in the AFC and is sticking by veteran quarterback Josh McCown.
The Panthers took a big hit early in the season when All-Pro tight end Greg Olsen went down with a broken foot in Week 2, but Newton should have him at his disposal once again as Olsen was taken off injured reserve on Monday and spent the week practicing with the team in anticipation of playing Sunday. Olsen rejoins a receiving corps that was getting a little thin after trading away Kelvin Benjamin and losing Curtis Samuel for the rest of the season to an ankle injury. Devin Funchess has stepped up to become Newton’s top target lately and recorded a season-high 92 yards and two TDs in the win over Miami last time out. The defense is still going strong for Carolina with Luke Kuechly leading the way. The Panthers are second in overall defense (278.0) and fifth in points allowed (18.0).
New York was expected to compete for the top overall draft pick this season and some experts were even predicting an 0-16 campaign. But, the head coach Todd Bowles has made this team competitive. With the Jets still in the playoff hunt, young QB’s Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg are still on the bench in favor of veteran McCown. The 38-year old McCown is completing 69% of his passes with 14 touchdowns and eight interceptions, but has been sacked 32 times – third most in the NFL. The running game has yet to help out McCown, ranking 21st in the league, and veteran Matt Forte missed the last game, but is expected to play Sunday. The leading rusher (Bilal Powell) only has 420 yards on the season, putting more pressure on the passing game. The Jets will host Kansas City next week before playing three of their final four games on the road.
The Jets had a good run in the middle of their schedule, but now seem to be playing like they were predicted. This Carolina team is way better than the Jets, and even though it’s a road game, I don’t see the Panthers having any trouble on Sunday. I’ll lay the points.
Pick: Panthers -5.5
- Panthers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 road games.
- Panthers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games in Week 12.
- Panthers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Panthers are 7-2-1 ATS in their last 10 games in November.
- Panthers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Panthers are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
- Panthers are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Panthers are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games on fieldturf.
- Panthers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win of more than 14 points.
- Jets are 3-0-1 ATS in their last 4 games following a straight up loss.
- Jets are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 home games.
- Jets are 4-0-1 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Jets are 7-0 ATS in their last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Jets are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games on fieldturf.
- Jets are 6-1-1 ATS in their last 8 games overall.
- Jets are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Jets are 12-5 ATS in their last 17 games following a bye week.
- Jets are 4-11 ATS in their last 15 games in November.
- Over is 4-0 in Panthers last 4 games following a bye week.
- Over is 4-0-1 in Panthers last 5 games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Under is 5-1 in Panthers last 6 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Over is 4-1 in Panthers last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 20-6-1 in Panthers last 27 games on fieldturf.
- Under is 11-4 in Panthers last 15 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Under is 5-2 in Panthers last 7 road games.
- Under is 8-1-1 in Jets last 10 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 5-1-1 in Jets last 7 games after scoring less than 15 points in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Jets last 5 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 15-5 in Jets last 20 games in Week 12.
- Under is 8-3 in Jets last 11 games following a bye week.
- Home team is 5-0-1 ATS in their last 6 meetings.
- Favorite is 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings.