Michigan (17-5, 6-3) at Purdue (19-2, 8-0)
When: Thursday, January 25th 2018
Where: Mackey Arena, West Lafayette, IN
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: ESPN
Opening Odds: Purdue -12.5/137
The Purdue Boilermakers are cruising through the Big Ten Conference and are all the way up to No. 3 in the national rankings. The Boilermakers have won 15 consecutive games, including an 87-64 victory against Iowa on Saturday, to remain undefeated in conference play and will look to move to 9-0 in the Big Ten for the first time in program history when they host the Michigan Wolverines on Thursday. Purdue, who won the Big Ten regular season title last season, can sweep the season series with Michigan following a 70-69 victory on January 9th. Purdue has won its last three games overall by an average margin of 28.3 points, and hopes to extend its home winning streak to 13. Michigan bounced back from its worst performance of the season against Nebraska with a 62-47 win over Rutgers on Sunday. The Wolverines finished a stretch of eight games in 22 days with six wins, but eclipsed 70 points just once in their last five games and hope for a better offensive output against a Purdue team that has held three straight opponents to 50 or fewer points. Purdue has won 10 consecutive Big Ten regular-season games dating back to last year.
Moritz Wagner led Michigan with 16 points to go along with six rebounds in the win against Rutgers after being held to a season-low two points in the 72-52 embarrassing loss to Nebraska in his previous game. Senior guard Duncan Robinson came off the bench and nailed four 3-pointers en route to 12 points to give the Wolverines a spark against the Scarlet Knights and needs three more 3-point field goals to pass Stu Douglass (205) for seventh place on the school’s all-time list. Guard Charles Matthews added 10 points while Zavier Simpson contributed 10 points, a career-high eight rebounds and four assists to help the Wolverines improve to 10-0 all-time against Rutgers.
Sophomore guard Carsen Edwards was named the Co-Big Ten Player of the Week after averaging 21.5 points and 5.5 assists in the wins over Iowa and Wisconsin (78-50). Edwards scored 22 points for the Boilermakers and handed out eight assists while Vincent Edwards added 19 points as Purdue set a single-game record with 20 3-pointers in the victory against the Hawkeyes. Purdue ranks 9th in the nation in points allowed (62.2) and fourth in field goal percentage defense (37.7), while the offense is ranked second in Division 1 in three-point shooting (43.7%).
Purdue has a legitimate Final Four team here and have been destroying opponents, but I think 11.5 points is a little too high against a Michigan team that can get hot and are capable of upsetting any team. I’ll say Michigan keeps this within single-digits.
Pick: Michigan +11.5
- Wolverines are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Wolverines are 10-3-1 ATS in their last 14 vs. Big Ten.
- Wolverines are 6-2-1 ATS in their last 9 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Wolverines are 8-3-1 ATS in their last 12 games overall.
- Wolverines are 33-16-2 ATS in their last 51 Thursday games.
- Wolverines are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Boilermakers are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Boilermakers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS win.
- Boilermakers are 20-7-1 ATS in their last 28 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Boilermakers are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Boilermakers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Boilermakers are 44-20-2 ATS in their last 66 home games.
- Boilermakers are 39-18-3 ATS in their last 60 games overall.
- Boilermakers are 34-16-1 ATS in their last 51 games following a straight up win.
- Boilermakers are 21-10-3 ATS in their last 34 vs. Big Ten.
- Under is 5-1 in Wolverines last 6 Thursday games.
- Under is 4-1 in Wolverines last 5 overall.
- Under is 4-1 in Wolverines last 5 vs. Big Ten.
- Over is 17-5 in Wolverines last 22 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Under is 12-5-1 in Wolverines last 18 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 6-0 in Boilermakers last 6 overall.
- Under is 4-0 in Boilermakers last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 6-0 in Boilermakers last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 4-0 in Boilermakers last 4 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Under is 7-0 in Boilermakers last 7 vs. Big Ten.
- Under is 4-0 in Boilermakers last 4 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 20-8 in Boilermakers last 28 Thursday games.
- Under is 7-3 in Boilermakers last 10 home games.
- Home team is 7-1 ATS in the last 8 meetings.
- Wolverines are 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.
- Over is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings in Purdue.
- Wolverines are 1-5 ATS in the last 6 meetings in Purdue.