Michigan (6-1) at North Carolina (5-1)
When: Wednesday, November 29th 2017
Where: Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC
Time: 7:30 ET | TV: ESPN
Opening Odds: North Carolina -9/146
The Michigan Wolverines will look to give the host North Carolina Tar Heels their second straight defeat when the two teams meet as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Wednesday night in Chapel Hill. The 11th-ranked Tar Heels were held to a dismal 24.6% shooting and were outrebounded by 16 in a 63-45 loss to Michigan State on Sunday in the championship game of the PK80 Invitational Victory bracket in Portland, Oregon. The Tar Heels are the defending National Champions, but the top five scorers are gone from last season and they will need to produce a much better effort against Michigan State’s rival on Wednesday. The Wolverines have won six of their first seven games, losing a two-point decision to LSU in the first round of the Maui Invitational before Thanksgiving, and average 78.7 points while shooting better than 50% from the floor. Michigan came back to win the consolation bracket in Maui, knocking off Chaminade and VCU, before blowing out visiting UC Riverside 87-42 on Sunday.
Kentucky transfer guard Charles Matthews has gotten off to a strong start with his new school and leads the Wolverines in scoring (16.7) and is shooting 56.8% from the field. Freshman point guard Eli Brooks is another newcomer that has contributed early, recording season highs of eight points and four rebounds in his third straight start Sunday. Forward Moritz Wagner is second on the team in scoring (15.3) and leads the Wolverines in rebounds (8.6), while senior guard Duncan Robinson is 17-of-32 from the field and is averaging 15 points the last three games.
The Tar Heels averaged more than 90 points before getting held to 45 against the Spartans and a putrid 1-of-18 from 3-point range. Senior Theo Pinson was the only player to score in double figures with 16 and is fourth on the team at 11.2 points per game while leading the way in assists (3.7). Junior forward Luke Maye tops the team in scoring (19.0) and rebounding (10.0) with senior point guard Joel Berry, III second at 15.0 points, although he is shooting just 32.8% from the field. Junior guard Kenny Williams averages 14 points and is 14-for-25 from behind the arc.
North Carolina is the better team, but Michigan always plays to their competition and I expect them to give the Tar Heels a fight here. Michigan is shooting well enough to hang.
Pick: Michigan +10.5
- Wolverines are 6-1-1 ATS in their last 8 games following a ATS win.
- Wolverines are 6-1-1 ATS in their last 8 road games.
- Wolverines are 5-1-1 ATS in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Wolverines are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Wolverines are 9-4-1 ATS in their last 14 games overall.
- Wolverines are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 vs. Atlantic Coast.
- Wolverines are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Wolverines are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Wolverines are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 Wednesday games.
- Wolverines are 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Tar Heels are 5-0-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS loss.
- Tar Heels are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up loss.
- Tar Heels are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 Wednesday games.
- Tar Heels are 24-10-2 ATS in their last 36 home games.
- Under is 4-0 in Wolverines last 4 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Over is 5-1-2 in Wolverines last 8 road games.
- Under is 5-1-1 in Wolverines last 7 non-conference games.
- Under is 5-1-1 in Wolverines last 7 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 4-1-2 in Wolverines last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 16-5 in Wolverines last 21 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Under is 3-1-1 in Wolverines last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 3-1-1 in Wolverines last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 3-1-2 in Wolverines last 6 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 8-3-1 in Wolverines last 12 vs. Atlantic Coast.
- Under is 5-2-1 in Wolverines last 8 overall.
- Over is 4-1 in Tar Heels last 5 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 11-4 in Tar Heels last 15 vs. Big Ten.
- Under is 8-3 in Tar Heels last 11 Wednesday games.