Marquette (12-5, 3-2) at Butler (12-6, 2-3)
When: Friday, January 12th 2018
Where: Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
Time: 6:30 ET | TV: FOX Sports 1
Opening Odds: Butler -4
The Butler Bulldogs will look to get back on track following a rough stretch in the schedule when they host the Marquette Golden Eagles on Friday night at historic Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. This contest will also feature three of the top four scorers in the Big East Conference, although the teams are not particularly high-scoring squads. Markus Howard of Marquette ranks first in the conference and 11th nationally in scoring (22.8 points), while fellow 5’11” teammate Andrew Rowsey (21.6) is the only other Big East player averaging at least 20 points. Despite a sub-par effort in his last game, Butler forward Kelan Martin (19.2) sits fourth in the conference, while Kamar Baldwin (15.3) ranks 13th. After Howard led his team in points in each of the last two games, it was Rowsey’s turn to play hero on Tuesday in an 84-64 win against No. 15 Seton Hall, as the senior recorded 31 points to eclipse the 30-point mark for the third time in five games and the fourth time this season. However, Martin (10 points on 5-of-12 shooting) and Baldwin (15 points, 7-of-19) were both kept in check Tuesday, as Butler wrapped up a 1-3 stretch against four consecutive ranked opponents with an 85-74 loss at No. 22 Creighton. Butler has won five of the six meetings since Steve Wojciechowski took over Marquette in 2014.
Howard, who scored a school-record 52 points at Providence on January 3rd and averaged 44.5 points over his previous two games, managed only 12 on Tuesday to continue his recent trend of disappearing at home – 12 points per game over his last four outings with a high of 13. Rowsey picked up the slack following a season-low six-point performance in last Saturday’s loss at No. 1 Villanova and is averaging 29 points per game over the last four at the Bradley Center. Howard has been significantly better away from home, averaging 37.3 points in the Golden Eagles’ three true road games, while Rowsey has produced only 15.3 points per game in those same contests. Between UNC-Asheville and and Marquette, Rowsey has scored 1,982 career points for an average of 23.6 points per game.
Martin was unable to reach the 20-point mark for the first time in seven games on Tuesday, failed to hit a 3-pointer for the first time in 12 games and committed a career-high tying six turnovers, but did pull down 11 rebounds to record his fifth double-double of the season. Guard Paul Jorgensen (12.1 points), who is the only other Bulldog scoring at least 10 points per game, led Butler with 18 against Creighton and averaged 14.3 points during the team’s four-game stretch against ranked opponents. Fellow guard Sean McDermott, who is one of five Bulldogs with at least 20 3-pointers, is averaging 6.4 rebounds during Big East play, although 23 of his 32 rebounds came in two games. Backup guard Henry Baddley has connected on eight of his last 10 three-point attempts.
Marquette is coming off an impressive 20-point win over a ranked team and that’s probably why this line isn’t six or seven. Butler is below the Golden Eagles in the standings, but I believe they’re a better team, especially at Hinkle.
Pick: Butler -4.5
- Golden Eagles are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games.
- Golden Eagles are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Golden Eagles are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Bulldogs are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 home games.
- Bulldogs are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Bulldogs are 15-7-1 ATS in their last 23 games following a ATS loss.
- Bulldogs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Bulldogs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Bulldogs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Bulldogs are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 vs. Big East.
- Bulldogs are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games following a straight up loss.
- Over is 4-0 in Golden Eagles last 4 road games.
- Over is 6-0 in Golden Eagles last 6 Friday games.
- Over is 6-1 in Golden Eagles last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 6-1 in Golden Eagles last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 6-2 in Golden Eagles last 8 vs. Big East.
- Over is 6-0 in Bulldogs last 6 home games.
- Over is 9-1 in Bulldogs last 10 overall.
- Over is 7-1 in Bulldogs last 8 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 5-1-1 in Bulldogs last 7 Friday games.
- Over is 4-1 in Bulldogs last 5 vs. Big East.
- Over is 4-1 in Bulldogs last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 5-2 in Bulldogs last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 5-2 in Bulldogs last 7 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Home team is 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.
- Golden Eagles are 1-7-2 ATS in the last 10 meetings.
- Golden Eagles are 0-4 ATS in the last 4 meetings in Butler.