Kansas (9-2) vs Stanford (6-6)
When: Thursday, December 21st 2017
Where: Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, CA
Time: 11:00 ET | TV: ESPN2
Opening Odds: Kansas -16
The Stanford Cardinal have used a two-game winning streak to get back to the .500 mark and will look to keep that going against the 13th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks on Thursday night in the Sacramento Showcase at Golden 1 Center. Stanford, who is predicted to finish in the middle of the Pac-12 standings this season, is off to a rough start, but have seemed to turned the corner with wins in three of the past four games including a 71-59 win over visiting San Francisco on Sunday. Kansas will be looking to snap a three-game losing streak to Pac-12 opponents after dropping back-to-back home games to Washington and Arizona State. The Jayhawks responded by edging out Nebraska 73-72 in Lincoln and pummeling Nebraska-Omaha 109-64 on Monday. Junior guard Lagerald Vick has averaged 19.4 points in his last five games for Kansas, which leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage (52.3), assists (20.5), assist-to-turnover ratio (1.7) and 3-point field goals made (11.2). The KU backcourt includes senior guard Svi Mykhailiuk, who broke out of a shooting slump by scoring 26 points on 10-of-13 shooting, including six 3-pointers, in Monday’s victory over Omaha. Kansas holds a 9-3 lead in the series, including an 89-74 win on December 3rd, 2016 in Allen Fieldhouse.
Kansas received a nice outing by sophomore guard Malik Newman, who bounced back from a scoreless outing against Nebraska by scoring 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting in 26 minutes against Omaha. The Jayhawks’ bench saw the debut of sophomore guard Sam Cunliffe, a transfer from Arizona State who missed the team’s first nine games but had nine points in 20 minutes against Omaha. Cunliffe could eventually be used to help relieve senior guard Devonte’ Graham, who averages 17.0 points while playing a team-high 34.6 minutes per game.
Stanford’s strength is its powerful frontcourt duo of Reid Travis and Michael Humphrey. The 6’8″, 245-pound Travis matched his career high with 29 points and grabbed eight rebounds in last Sunday’s victory over San Francisco. Travis is being asked to carry the Stanford offense while starters Marcus Sheffield and Dorian Pickens remain out with foot injuries. Second-year head coach Jerod Haase, who played for Kansas from 1995-97, owns a 100-76 record in six seasons as a head coach at UAB and Stanford.
The Jayhawks have bounced back nicely since the two defeats at home earlier in the month, and should be able to handle this depleted Stanford lineup. The Cardinal don’t have enough offense to keep up with Kansas on a neutral floor.
Pick: Kansas -16
- Jayhawks are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Jayhawks are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 after scoring 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Jayhawks are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Jayhawks are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Jayhawks are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games after scoring more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Jayhawks are 6-13 ATS in their last 19 games following a ATS win.
- Jayhawks are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 vs. Pacific-12.
- Cardinal are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 when their opponent scores 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Cardinal are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big 12.
- Cardinal are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Cardinal are 17-37 ATS in their last 54 Thursday games.
- Cardinal are 4-10 ATS in their last 14 non-conference games.
- Cardinal are 4-10-1 ATS in their last 15 games overall.
- Cardinal are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Cardinal are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 5-0 in Jayhawks last 5 games after scoring more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Under is 5-0 in Jayhawks last 5 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Under is 4-1 in Jayhawks last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 36-14-1 in Jayhawks last 51 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 5-2 in Jayhawks last 7 overall.
- Under is 5-2 in Jayhawks last 7 non-conference games.
- Under is 51-22-3 in Jayhawks last 76 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 52-23-3 in Jayhawks last 78 road games.
- Under is 5-0-1 in Cardinal last 6 overall.
- Under is 3-0-1 in Cardinal last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 3-0-1 in Cardinal last 4 home games.
- Over is 6-1 in Cardinal last 7 vs. Big 12.
- Over is 4-1 in Cardinal last 5 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 15-5-1 in Cardinal last 21 non-conference games.
- Under is 16-6 in Cardinal last 22 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 7-3 in Cardinal last 10 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 19-9 in Cardinal last 28 games following a straight up win.