Winnipeg (5-3-2) at Minnesota (4-3-2)
When: Tuesday, October 31st 2017
Where: Xcel Energy Center, Saint Paul, MN
Time: 8:05 ET | TV: TSN3, FSN North
Opening Odds: Minnesota -141/6
The Winnipeg Jets look to ride the momentum of their home thrashing of the Stanley Cup Champions when they visit the Minnesota Wild on Halloween night in Saint Paul. The Jets, who have outscored their opponents in the first period 16-8 this season, scored five in the opening period on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Penguins, and went on to win 7-1. Blake Wheeler recorded his second career hat trick in a span of 4:20 in the first period and managed an assist in the third period for his fourth four-point performance in the NHL. Wheeler, who hails from Minnesota, netted the game-winning goal in the third period of Winnipeg’s 4-3 win over the Wild at home on October 20th and had two goals and three assists in five meetings last season versus Minnesota. The Jets might have benefited from a tired Pittsburgh team, who the night before, was in Minnesota losing to the Wild in tight 2-1 contest. It was Minnesota’s second straight win after losing five of their previous seven contests. Captain Mikko Koivu, who scored the game-winning goal in the third period versus Pittsburgh, also tallied in the first encounter this season against the Jets and had four points (one goal, three assists) in the 2016-17 season series.
Mark Scheifele had a goal and two assists versus Pittsburgh for his third multi-point performance of the season. Scheifele, who recorded a pair of assists in the first encounter against the Wild, set up Wheeler’s first two goals on Sunday which helped the Jets set a franchise record by scoring three goals in just 34 seconds. Goalie Connor Hellebuyck (5-0-1, 2.05 goals-against average, .937 save percentage) is benefiting from the offensive support by being in net for all five of his team’s wins this season and improved to 3-1-0 with one shutout in his career versus Minnesota following a 24-save performance in the first meeting.
Devan Dubnyk has bounced back from a rough start to the season by allowing just just one goal in two of his last three games as Minnesota improved to 2-1-0 on its season-high six-game homestand. Dubnyk was not sharp in the October 20th meeting against Winnipeg after allowing four goals to drop to 7-8-1 in his career versus the Jets. Eric Staal has seen a lot of Winnipeg in his career and has made the most of those encounters by recording 61 points (26 goals, 35 assists) in 69 career meetings. Winger Nino Niederreiter, who practiced alongside Staal on Monday, will be a game-time decision versus Winnipeg after being sidelined six games with a high-ankle sprain.
The Wild are still struggling to score goals and are on an 0-for-11 streak on the power play. Winnipeg is 10-1 in their last 11 games on one day rest and are playing well enough on the road to get a win here.
Pick: Jets +122
- Jets are 4-0 in their last 4 after scoring 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Jets are 10-1 in their last 11 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Jets are 7-1 in their last 8 vs. Western Conference.
- Jets are 4-1 in their last 5 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Jets are 8-2 in their last 10 games following a win.
- Jets are 20-8 in their last 28 vs. Central.
- Jets are 5-2 in their last 7 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Jets are 12-5 in their last 17 overall.
- Jets are 7-3 in their last 10 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Wild are 10-3 in their last 13 when their opponent scores 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Wild are 17-6 in their last 23 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Wild are 2-5 in their last 7 vs. Central.
- Wild are 2-5 in their last 7 home games.
- Wild are 3-11 in their last 14 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Wild are 1-5 in their last 6 games following a win.
- Wild are 1-7 in their last 8 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 14-2 in Jets last 16 vs. Central.
- Over is 12-3-3 in Jets last 18 Tuesday games.
- Over is 23-7-1 in Jets last 31 vs. Western Conference.
- Over is 19-6-2 in Jets last 27 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 18-6 in Jets last 24 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 8-3 in Jets last 11 games following a win.
- Over is 21-8-2 in Jets last 31 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Over is 13-5-1 in Jets last 19 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Over is 18-7-1 in Jets last 26 road games.
- Over is 37-17-1 in Jets last 55 overall.
- Over is 4-0 in Wild last 4 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Over is 4-1 in Wild last 5 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 7-2-1 in Wild last 10 overall.
- Over is 3-1-1 in Wild last 5 Tuesday games.
- Over is 3-1-1 in Wild last 5 vs. Western Conference.
- Over is 25-9-2 in Wild last 36 games following a win.
- Over is 5-2-1 in Wild last 8 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 29-13-9 in Wild last 51 when their opponent scores 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Over is 4-0 in the last 4 meetings.
- Home team is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings.
Trends courtesy of SportsOptions.com – an UltimateCapper.com partner