Charlotte (8-11) at Toronto (12-7)
When: Wednesday, November 29th 2017
Where: Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario
Time: 7:35 ET | TV: FSN Southeast, Sportsnet One
Opening Odds: Toronto -8/204.5
A pair of well-rested teams will battle Wednesday night in Canada as the Toronto Raptors host the Charlotte Hornets at Air Canada Centre. Both teams last played on Saturday with complete opposite results as the Raptors destroyed the Atlanta Hawks on the road by 34 points, while the Hornets were suffering their worst loss of the season, a 106-86 home loss to San Antonio. Reserves Norman Powell and Pascal Siakam both had a team-high 31 minutes and combined for 30 points on 13-of-22 shooting for a Toronto team that matched its largest margin of victory this season. The Hornets visit to Toronto is one of just two games in a span of eight days for them. Kemba Walker scored 11 of his 19 points in the final five-plus minutes and Charlotte scored 44 points in the fourth quarter to steal a 110-106 win at Toronto in the last meeting on March 29th.
Walker scored 18 points on 8-of-12 from the floor against San Antonio, but his fellow starters were a combined 6-for-29 as Charlotte was coming off a tight loss in Cleveland the night before. Dwight Howard recorded his 11th double-double (10 points, 11 rebounds) despite playing a season-low 22 minutes and needs 25 rebounds to pass Paul Silas (12,357) and move into 21st on the NBA’s all-time list, and 27 to get ahead of Dikembe Mutombo for 20th. Charlotte is 2.5 games behind Washington in the Southeast Division and will play at Miami on Friday.
DeMar DeRozan was held to only two points in the win over Atlanta – snapping a string of 113 straight double-digit games – but he did hand out a season high-tying eight assists while still sitting out the entire fourth quarter. DeRozan has seen his scoring average drop more than four points this season but he is shooting 47.4% – his best since 2009-10. His 4.6 assists per game is a career-high and he’s averaging 25.6 points and 5.1 assists at home, compared to 21.4 and 4.3 on the road. Point guard Kyle Lowry recorded a career-high 13 rebounds versus Atlanta for his third straight 10+ rebound effort.
The much-needed rest will help this Charlotte team, who went through a rough stretch by beating some good teams. They’ve also been playing some close road games lately and I think eight points is a lot to give this team. The Hornets have also covered the spread in the last three meetings with the Raptors.
Pick: Hornets +8
- Hornets are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Hornets are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Hornets are 15-7-1 ATS in their last 23 Wednesday games.
- Hornets are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games playing on 3 or more days rest.
- Hornets are 7-19-1 ATS in their last 27 vs. NBA Atlantic.
- Hornets are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Hornets are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games following a double-digit loss at home.
- Hornets are 2-6-1 ATS in their last 9 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Hornets are 2-9-1 ATS in their last 12 road games.
- Hornets are 1-5-1 ATS in their last 7 games following a straight up loss.
- Hornets are 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Raptors are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games following a straight up win of more than 10 points.
- Raptors are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 when their opponent allows 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Raptors are 10-4 ATS in their last 14 games playing on 3 or more days rest.
- Raptors are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Over is 5-1 in Hornets last 6 games playing on 3 or more days rest.
- Over is 4-1 in Hornets last 5 games following a double-digit loss at home.
- Over is 6-2 in Hornets last 8 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Over is 6-2 in Hornets last 8 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 23-9 in Hornets last 32 Wednesday games.
- Under is 10-4 in Hornets last 14 when their opponent scores 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Under is 7-3 in Hornets last 10 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 5-0 in Raptors last 5 overall.
- Under is 6-0 in Raptors last 6 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Under is 4-0 in Raptors last 4 vs. NBA Southeast.
- Under is 5-0 in Raptors last 5 after scoring 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Over is 9-1 in Raptors last 10 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Under is 4-1 in Raptors last 5 vs. a team with a losing straight up record.
- Under is 4-1 in Raptors last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 4-1 in Raptors last 5 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Under is 4-1 in Raptors last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 14-6 in Raptors last 20 home games.
- Hornets are 13-4 ATS in the last 17 meetings in Toronto.
- Hornets are 23-8 ATS in the last 31 meetings.