Charlotte (20-29) at Atlanta (15-35)
When: Wednesday, January 31st 2018
Where: Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA
Time: 7:35 ET | TV: FS Southeast
Opening Odds: Charlotte -3/210.5
Two struggling teams that could be players in next week’s trade deadline will battle on Wednesday night as the Atlanta Hawks host the Charlotte Hornets from Philips Arena. Charlotte boasts a bunch of large contracts including Dwight Howard, who was acquired over the summer, but are nine games under .500 and five games out of a playoff spot. We are already hearing rumors of the Hornets moving leading scorer Kemba Walker, who is averaging 22.1 per contest. The Hornets squandered an opportunity to make a move up the standings with losses at playoff contenders Miami and Indiana to begin the three-game road trip, as they blew fourth-quarter leads in both contests. The Hawks are tied with Orlando at the bottom of the Eastern Conference heading into Tuesday’s action, but earned an impressive win on Monday with a 105-100 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves, snapping a three-game skid. Atlanta’s rebuilding squad is led by point guard Dennis Schroder, who is averaging a team-best 19.6 points a game, but is shooting a horrific 29.2% from beyond the arc. Charlotte took each of the first two meetings this season and five of the last six in the series.
Charlotte will probably look to unload some of their high-salaried players including Walker, but owner Michael Jordan told reporters he would not trade his star guard for anything but an All-Star in return. Shooting guard Nicolas Batum, forward Marvin Williams and Howard better be ready to bolt, as the Hornets are probably not getting a playoff berth even if they keep everyone around. Batum signed a five-year, $120 million deal prior to the 2016-17 season but is struggling to produce consistently while averaging 11.4 points on 41% shooting. Batum scored just nine points on 3-of-13 shooting at Miami on Saturday but followed it up by scoring 22 on 8-of-17 from the floor in Monday’s loss at Indiana.
Atlanta has a similar situation with their inconsistent shooting guard in Kent Bazemore, who was held to three points on 1-of-9 shooting against Washington on Saturday but scored 22 on 8-of-14 in Monday’s upset win over the Timberwolves. Bazemore was at his best at Charlotte on Friday, when he scored 26 points in 31 minutes, but the Hawks suffered a 121-110 setback – their only road game since January 10th. Schroder was held to 11 points at Charlotte and scored nine in a loss to Washington on Saturday but recorded 18 points and 11 assists on Monday with his fifth double-double.
Charlotte has been a pretty good bounce-back team after a loss, covering the spread in seven of the last 10 in that situation, including a push. Atlanta is really a bad team and the Hornets have too much veteran talent to lose this game.
Pick: Hornets -2.5
- Hornets are 7-2-1 ATS in their last 10 games following a straight up loss.
- Hornets are 6-2-1 ATS in their last 9 games following a ATS loss.
- Hornets are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Hornets are 9-19-1 ATS in their last 29 games vs. a team with a winning % below .400.
- Hornets are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 after allowing 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Hornets are 1-4-1 ATS in their last 6 games overall.
- Hornets are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 when their opponent allows 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Hornets are 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 Wednesday games.
- Hawks are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 after allowing 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Hawks are 1-4-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Hawks are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 when their opponent allows 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Hawks are 0-6 ATS in their last 6 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Over is 4-1 in Hornets last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % below .400.
- Under is 6-2 in Hornets last 8 when their opponent scores 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Under is 5-2 in Hornets last 7 road games.
- Over is 5-2 in Hornets last 7 after allowing 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Over is 5-2 in Hornets last 7 when their opponent allows 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Over is 7-3 in Hornets last 10 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Over is 27-13 in Hornets last 40 Wednesday games.
- Under is 5-0 in Hawks last 5 Wednesday games.
- Under is 7-1 in Hawks last 8 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 7-1 in Hawks last 8 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 6-1 in Hawks last 7 home games.
- Over is 5-1 in Hawks last 6 vs. NBA Southeast.
- Under is 4-1 in Hawks last 5 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Under is 4-1 in Hawks last 5 vs. a team with a losing straight up record.
- Under is 4-1 in Hawks last 5 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Under is 4-1 in Hawks last 5 after scoring 100 points or more in their previous game.
- Under is 6-2 in Hawks last 8 overall.
- Under is 7-0 in the last 7 meetings in Atlanta.
- Hornets are 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings.
- Under is 13-3 in the last 16 meetings.
- Home team is 12-3-1 ATS in the last 16 meetings.
- Favorite is 19-7-1 ATS in the last 27 meetings.
- Hornets are 2-5 ATS in the last 7 meetings in Atlanta.