Philadelphia (20-15-8) at NY Rangers (22-17-5)
When: Tuesday, January 16th 2018
Where: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
Time: 7:05 ET | TV: NBC Sports Network
Opening Odds: New York -130/6
Two rivals that are battling for the final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference will battle on Tuesday night as the New York Rangers host the Philadelphia Flyers for the first time this season. New York currently holds down the eighth spot in the standings with Philadelphia just one point behind and a game in hand. The Rangers have come out of their NHL-mandated five-day break with losses against a pair of Metropolitan Division foes and will look to get back on track in the opener of a two-game homestand. The Rangers saw their overall losing streak hit three games and are 3-5-2 in their last 10 games after being outscored 12-4 over the weekend in losses to the Islanders and Pittsburgh. Good news is that goalie Henrik Lundqvist has owned Philadelphia to the tune of a 34-14-4 career mark with four shutouts and a .919 save percentage. The Flyers have woken up the offense and boast 21 goals and converting 7 of 14 power-play opportunities during its four-game winning streak. Jakub Voracek, who has seven points in the streak, owns an NHL-best 45 assists. New York has won 12 of its last 14 home games versus Philadelphia.
Sean Couturier perhaps is taking out his frustrations of being left off the All-Star roster by recording multi-point performances in each of the last four games to spark Philadelphia’s winning streak. Couturier extended his career-high goal total to 25 by scoring twice in each of his last three games while also adding an assist to conclude a three-point effort in Saturday’s 5-3 win over New Jersey. Captain Claude Giroux, who was named to the All-Star Game, also is riding a four-game point streak and has 26 points (three goals, 23 assists) in his last 16 games overall while Voracek has 23 points (one goal, 22 assists) in his past 17.
New York’s Michael Grabner recorded his team-leading 19th goal and the 150th of his career after converting on a breakaway in the first period of Sunday’s 5-2 loss in Pittsburgh. Grabner looks to continue his scoring surge versus Philadelphia, against which he has three goals and an assist in his last five meetings. Fellow forward Mats Zuccarello (team-leading 24 assists, 32 points) also tormented Philadelphia by setting up four goals in last season’s series and has three assists in his five games this month.
The Flyers are in the middle of an offensive surge right now and are going to be tough to stop. They are playing their best hockey of the season, while the Rangers are not. Look for the Flyers to pull out a rare Madison Square Garden win tonight.
Pick: Flyers +100
- Flyers are 4-0 in their last 4 when their opponent allows 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Flyers are 4-0 in their last 4 overall.
- Flyers are 4-1 in their last 5 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Flyers are 8-3 in their last 11 games following a win.
- Flyers are 5-2 in their last 7 after scoring 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Flyers are 15-32 in their last 47 road games.
- Flyers are 2-5 in their last 7 vs. Metropolitan.
- Flyers are 1-5 in their last 6 Tuesday games.
- Flyers are 0-4 in their last 4 games playing on 2 days rest.
- Rangers are 18-6 in their last 24 games following a loss of 3 or more goals.
- Rangers are 13-5 in their last 18 home games.
- Rangers are 35-17 in their last 52 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Rangers are 2-5 in their last 7 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Rangers are 3-9 in their last 12 in the third game of a 3-in-4 situation.
- Rangers are 1-4 in their last 5 overall.
- Rangers are 1-4 in their last 5 when their opponent scores 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Rangers are 0-4 in their last 4 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Over is 9-1 in Flyers last 10 vs. Metropolitan.
- Over is 8-1 in Flyers last 9 games playing on 2 days rest.
- Over is 5-1 in Flyers last 6 overall.
- Over is 4-1 in Flyers last 5 games following a win.
- Over is 4-1 in Flyers last 5 when their opponent allows 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Flyers last 5 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Over is 4-1 in Flyers last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 5-2-1 in Flyers last 8 Tuesday games.
- Over is 5-2 in Flyers last 7 after scoring 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Over is 7-3 in Flyers last 10 road games.
- Under is 5-0 in Rangers last 5 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Under is 4-0 in Rangers last 4 in the third game of a 3-in-4 days situation.
- Over is 5-1 in Rangers last 6 when their opponent scores 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Rangers last 5 Tuesday games.
- Over is 8-3-1 in Rangers last 12 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Under is 5-2 in Rangers last 7 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 34-14-10 in Rangers last 58 vs. Metropolitan.
- Over is 22-10-4 in Rangers last 36 after allowing 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Under is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings in New York.
- Flyers are 7-19 in the last 26 meetings in New York.
- Road team is 6-2 in the last 8 meetings.
- Flyers are 1-6 in the last 7 meetings.
Trends courtesy of SportsOptions.com – an UltimateCapper.com partner