Creighton (19-8, 8-6) at Butler (18-10, 8-7)
When: Tuesday, February 20th 2018
Where: Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: FS1
Opening Odds: Butler -5/157
Two struggling Big East teams that need to turn things around before they find themselves left out of the NCAA Tournament, will meet on Tuesday night as the Butler Bulldogs host the Creighton Bluejays at historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. Both teams have dropped to a projected seven-seed in the latest bracket projections with recent slumps. Butler snapped a three-game skid with a 69-54 victory over Providence last time out while the Bluejays coughed up a 15-point second-half lead in a 90-86 setback Saturday against Marquette for their third loss in the last four conference games. Creighton allowed Marquette to hit 56.3% from the field and 11-of-25 from 3-point range as it wasted a 53-41 halftime lead, giving up at least 90 for the second time in five games. The Eagles owned the boards as well, outrebounding the Bluejays 33-22 – 13-6 off the offensive glass. Butler, which lost for the third straight time to Creighton 85-74 on January 9th, had dropped two in a row at Hinkle before limiting Providence to 30% from the field overall and outscoring the Friars 36-19 in the final 20 minutes. The Bulldogs rank second-to-last in the Big East in field-goal percentage defense (44.6). Creighton is last in the Big East in steals (5.4) and blocked shots (2.6), but second in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.6).
Khyri Thomas, a junior guard from Omaha, Nebraska, scored a career-high 26 points to lead the way against Marquette while leading scorer Marcus Foster (20.0 points per game) was held to 12 on 4-of-11 shooting. Thomas (14.9) and Foster are just two of three double-digit scorers for the Bluejays, but have helped them average 85.4 points overall – second in the Big East and fifth in the nation entering Monday – but the defense has allowed 83.8 in the past four league games. Freshman center Jacob Epperson (6.3 points) has nailed 13-of-15 from the field and averaged 14.5 points over the last two contests.
Senior forward and leading scorer Kelan Martin is third in the Big East in that category – one spot ahead of Foster – at 20.7 points per game and has averaged 26.2 over the last five after recording 19 versus Providence. Senior forward Tyler Wideman has seen his numbers rise over the last two games, hitting 11-of-16 from the field while averaging 14.5 points – almost five above his season mark – and 6.5 rebounds. Sophomore guard Kamar Baldwin (15.6) and junior guard Paul Jorgensen (10.6) are the other double-figure scorers. Butler will finish the regular season with two road games against St. John’s and Seton Hall.
It’s senior night in Indianapolis and even though the Bulldogs aren’t the force they normally are at Hinkle, they’re still a dangerous team. Creighton is struggling more so than Butler and the Bluejays are 4-7 ATS away from home, while the Bulldogs are 11-4 ATS at home.
Pick: Butler -5
- Bluejays are 21-7 ATS in their last 28 Tuesday games.
- Bluejays are 20-7 ATS in their last 27 games following a ATS loss.
- Bluejays are 26-10 ATS in their last 36 games following a straight up loss.
- Bluejays are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Bluejays are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 road games following three or more consecutive home games.
- Bluejays are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Bluejays are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Bluejays are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Bluejays are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Bluejays are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Bluejays are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 vs. Big East.
- Bulldogs are 13-5 ATS in their last 18 home games.
- Bulldogs are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Bulldogs are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 Tuesday games.
- Under is 4-0 in Bluejays last 4 games following a straight up loss.
- Under is 6-1 in Bluejays last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 6-1 in Bluejays last 7 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Under is 5-1 in Bluejays last 6 Tuesday games.
- Under is 15-6 in Bluejays last 21 vs. Big East.
- Over is 5-2 in Bluejays last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 7-3 in Bluejays last 10 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 9-4 in Bluejays last 13 overall.
- Over is 5-1 in Bulldogs last 6 Tuesday games.
- Over is 5-1 in Bulldogs last 6 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Under is 5-1 in Bulldogs last 6 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 11-3 in Bulldogs last 14 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Over is 9-3 in Bulldogs last 12 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 9-3 in Bulldogs last 12 home games.
- Over is 14-6 in Bulldogs last 20 overall.
- Over is 7-3 in Bulldogs last 10 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 7-1 in the last 8 meetings.
- Bluejays are 6-1 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- Home team is 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings.
- Favorite is 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.