Dallas (7-6) at Oakland (6-7)
When: Sunday, December 17th 2017
Where: Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA
Time: 8:30 ET | TV: NBC
Opening Odds: Dallas -1.5/46
Both the Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders were expected to win their divisions this season and compete for a possible Super Bowl title, but are now in what is essentially and elimination game on Sunday Night Football. Dallas has won two straight games over NFC East rivals to keep their playoff hopes alive, but are still a game out of the last wild card spot with four teams in front of them. The Cowboys blew-out the Redskins 38-14 then followed that up with a 30-10 route of the New York Giants in Eli Manning’s return to the lineup. Oakland failed in an opportunity to gain control of the AFC West when they lost 26-15 at Kansas City last week and will enter the weekend one game behind Buffalo for the final AFC playoff spot. This will be Oakland’s final home game of the season as they end at Philadelphia and the LA Chargers, making this a must-win situation. These teams have played on two regular season games since 2009 with Dallas winning the latest contest 31-24 on November 28th, 2013.
Dallas scored a combined 22 points during a three-game losing streak after losing running back Ezekiel Elliott to a six-game suspension, but recorded their second straight 30-point performance as Dak Prescott threw for three touchdowns and a career-high 332 yards against the Giants. Backup running back Rod Smith had 160 yards from scrimmage with both a rushing and receiving touchdown for the Cowboys, who will welcome Elliott back back for the final two games against Seattle and at Philadelphia. Wide receiver Dez Bryant has been very quiet this season, but has a touchdown in each of the last two games despite not eclipsing 100 yards in a game this season. Dallas has forced a league-high 20 fumbles and had four of its nine interceptions in the past two games. The defense is 23rd against the pass (234.2) and 11th against the run (107.4).
Oakland laid an egg last week in Kansas City, trailing by 26 points at halftime before scoring a pair of meaningless fourth-quarter touchdowns to make the final score look better than it really was. Quarterback Derek Carr has thrown 10 interceptions on the season including six in the past six games – matching his total from the 2016 season. Carr has 21 touchdown passes against five interceptions in his 10 games in Oakland. He will be missing a very key weapon on Sunday as wide receiver Amari Cooper will likely miss the game after aggravating an ankle injury early in last week’s loss. Veteran Marshawn Lynch has rushed for a touchdown in each of the past three games but has been limited to less than 14 carries nine times in the last 11 games.
It’s a must-win for both teams, but I’m going with Oakland in this one. This is their home finale and Carr is much better at home than on the road this season. The Dallas secondary is vulnerable and Carr will take advantage of that. Take the points.
Pick: Raiders +3
- Cowboys are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
- Cowboys are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Cowboys are 7-2 ATS vs. a team with a losing record.
- Cowboys are 17-5 ATS in their last 22 games on grass.
- Cowboys are 12-5 ATS in their last 17 games following a ATS win.
- Cowboys are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 games in December.
- Raiders are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 150 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Raiders are 17-36-1 ATS in their last 54 games in December.
- Raiders are 2-7-1 ATS in their last 10 games on grass.
- Raiders are 1-4-1 ATS in their last 6 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Raiders are 2-8-1 ATS in their last 11 games overall.
- Raiders are 1-6-1 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Raiders are 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Under is 8-1 in Cowboys last 9 games in December.
- Under is 5-1 in Cowboys last 6 games overall.
- Under is 4-1 in Cowboys last 5 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Cowboys last 5 games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Under is 6-2 in Cowboys last 8 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
- Under is 17-6 in Cowboys last 23 road games.
- Under is 5-2 in Cowboys last 7 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Under is 12-5 in Cowboys last 17 games on grass.
- Over is 37-17-3 in Cowboys last 57 games after allowing less than 15 points in their previous game.
- Under is 4-0 in Raiders last 4 games overall.
- Under is 4-0 in Raiders last 4 games on grass.
- Over is 5-1 in Raiders last 6 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 4-1 in Raiders last 5 games in December.
- Under is 4-1 in Raiders last 5 home games.
- Over is 4-1 in Raiders last 5 games after allowing more than 150 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Over is 7-2 in Raiders last 9 games in Week 15.
- Over is 11-4-1 in Raiders last 16 games after accumulating less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Over is 19-9 in Raiders last 28 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.