Clemson (15-2, 4-1) at North Carolina (14-4, 3-2)
When: Tuesday, January 16th 2018
Where: Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC
Time: 7:00 ET | TV: ACC Network
Opening Odds: North Carolina -7/147.5
A couple of ranked ACC teams will battle in a key conference game on Tuesday night as the Clemson Tigers visit the North Carolina Tar Heels in Chapel Hill. The Tigers, who are off to their best start in nine years, try and break a decades-long losing streak at the Dean Smith Center. North Carolina is an amazing 59-0 versus the Tigers in Chapel Hill, but this year’s Clemson squad could be primed to end that dubious streak. Clemson is a game ahead of North Carolina in the ACC standings, but are ranked 18th to the Tar Heels 14th. The Tigers suffered their second loss and first conference loss of the season – a 78-77 defeat Thursday at North Carolina State – but bounced back nicely on a short turnaround to upend then-No. 19 Miami 72-63 in a Saturday afternoon home game. Clemson forward Donte Grantham led the charge on Saturday with a game-high 18 points. North Carolina, meanwhile, blasted visiting Boston College 96-66 and got past host Notre Dame 69-68 last week to climb back above .500 in the ACC at 3-2. North Carolina has won 19 of the last 20 games in the series.
Grantham was a perfect 4-for-4 from 3-point range Saturday as part of an overall 12-of-21 showing for the Tigers against the Hurricanes, who entered the game with one of the nation’s top-five defenses against the 3-pointer. Guard Marcquise Reed chipped-in 16 points Saturday and continues to lead the team in scoring with 15.9 points per game while Grantham (14.9) and fellow starters Shelton Mitchell (12.0), Gabe DeVoe (11.5) and Elijah Thomas (10.9) also are averaging double figures. Reserve forward Mark Donnal’s offense is on the rise after scoring 12 points Saturday to put together his first back-to-back double-digit scoring games since February 2016 while at Michigan.
North Carolina will need to get better and hanging onto the ball and forcing turnovers if they want to defend their national title. The Tar Heels rank 15th in the ACC and 241st nationally with a -0.61 turnover margin. North Carolina prevailed Saturday in South Bend on Joel Berry’s two free throws with 7.1 seconds remaining and a great defensive effort which held Notre Dame without a field goal for the game’s final 5:58. Forward Luke Maye recorded his 10th double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Berry joins Maye among the conference’s top seven scorers with 17.4 points while three teammates are contributing at least 8.9 points, led by guard Kenny Williams (12.1).
Its no secret that Clemson can’t win in Chapel Hill. I don’t know what it is, but you can’t ignore that trend. The line is only six, which means the sharps have bet it down from the opening line of 7. North Carolina is still the better team and will only get stronger as the season wears on. I’ll lay the points.
Pick: North Carolina -6
- Tigers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Tigers are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 Tuesday games.
- Tigers are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games overall.
- Tigers are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Tigers are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 road games.
- Tigers are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Tar Heels are 18-6-2 ATS in their last 26 games following a ATS loss.
- Tar Heels are 6-2-1 ATS in their last 9 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Tar Heels are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 home games.
- Tar Heels are 14-6-1 ATS in their last 21 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Tar Heels are 36-17 ATS in their last 53 Tuesday games.
- Tar Heels are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Tar Heels are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Tar Heels are 1-4-1 ATS in their last 6 vs. Atlantic Coast.
- Tar Heels are 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 4-0 in Tigers last 4 overall.
- Over is 4-0 in Tigers last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 4-0 in Tigers last 4 Tuesday games.
- Over is 4-0 in Tigers last 4 vs. Atlantic Coast.
- Over is 5-1 in Tigers last 6 road games.
- Over is 5-1 in Tigers last 6 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 5-1 in Tigers last 6 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 5-1 in Tigers last 6 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 8-1 in Tar Heels last 9 home games.
- Under is 4-1 in Tar Heels last 5 overall.
- Under is 4-1 in Tar Heels last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 4-1 in Tar Heels last 5 vs. Atlantic Coast.
- Over is 4-1 in Tar Heels last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Over is 9-4 in Tar Heels last 13 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 7-1 in the last 8 meetings in North Carolina.
- Favorite is 5-1-1 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- Tigers are 1-4-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings in North Carolina.
- Road team is 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.
- Tigers are 1-7-1 ATS in the last 9 meetings.