LA Chargers (1-1) at LA Rams (2-0)
When: Sunday, September 23rd 2018
Where: L.A. Memorial Coliseum,
Los Angeles, California
Time: 4:05 ET | TV: CBS
Opening Odds: LA Rams -7/48.5
We have an all Los Angeles contest this Sunday afternoon as the L.A. Chargers visit their cross-town rival the L.A. Rams in Week 3 action from the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Chargers came up short in Week 1 against what looks like a pretty solid Kansas City team, then easily handled the lowly Buffalo Bills last week. The main offensive weapons of quarterback Phillip Rivers, running back Melvin Gordon, and wideout Keenan Allen, have picked up where they left off last season, while the defense has had to work without star DE Joey Bosa. LAC ranks third in the NFL in total offense (445 yards a game), while the LAR are seventh at 398.5 yards per contest. The Rams have a dangerous trio – and then some – in their offense arsenal, including running back Todd Gurley, who has carried the ball a league-high 39 times for 150 yards and three rushing touchdowns, while also grabbing six receptions for 70 yards and a score. The Rams won their first two games over the Raiders and Cardinals by a combined score of 67-13 and have a defense full of imported stars. That ranks them first in the league at 6.5 points allowed per game after two weeks, but will face their toughest test to date. Both of these L.A.-based teams will soon share the same stadium, but don’t have a long history against each other, meeting only 11 times with the Rams winning six, although the Chargers won the last match-up 27-24 back in 2014. The over has come in for the Chargers in five out of their last six games played dating back to last season, while the Rams have been on the under their last three games, mainly because of their stout defense.
Rivers has completed 73.1 percent of his passes for 680 yards, six touchdowns and a passer-rating of 119.6 through two week. He’s faced the Rams three times during the regular season over the course of his career throwing three touchdowns and 716 yards. Gordon has rushed the ball 24 times for 92 yards, and leads the team in receptions with 15 through two games for 140 yards. Fellow back Austin Ekeler has also contributed with 16 carries and 116 yards. Allen continues to be Rivers’ top target with 14 receptions for 175 yards. He had a big game against the Rams back in that 2014 contest grabbing six balls for 104 yards and a touchdown. The Chargers’ pass rush has fared OK without Bosa, recording six sacks, which ranks them eight overall in the NFL. Rookie Derwin James leads the team with two and also has 11 total tackles on the season, followed by Denzel Perryman and Kyzir White who have 10 each.
Goff has thrown for 587 yards, three touchdowns and an interception this year, while spreading the ball around to Brandin Cooks (12 catches for 246 yards), Cooper Kupp (11 receptions for 115 yards), and Robert Woods (nine receptions for 118 yards). “When you’ve got guys that can make plays all over the board, it doesn’t matter if you’re the guy or not,” Cooks told reporters. “As long as we’ve got the weapons out there and continue to show that, I think it makes it a dangerous offense to stop.” The Rams have just two sacks thus far through two weeks, but do have four interceptions including one from leading tackler Cory Littleton.
Both teams plays better on the road than at home, with the Chargers going 15-7-1 ATS in their last 23 road games and Rams 5-11-1 in their last 17 at home. The Chargers have a potent enough offense to keep up with the Rams in this one. I will take Phillip Rivers as a touchdown dog any day of the week.
Pick: Chargers +7
- Chargers are 13-6 ATS in their last 19 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Chargers are 15-7-1 ATS in their last 23 road games.
- Chargers are 3-7 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Chargers are 3-9 ATS in their last 12 games after scoring more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Chargers are 1-4-1 ATS in their last 6 games in September.
- Chargers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games after allowing less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Chargers are 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 games in Week 3.
- Rams are 18-37-1 ATS in their last 56 games in September.
- Rams are 5-11-1 ATS in their last 17 home games.
- Rams are 4-10 ATS in their last 14 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Rams are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing less than 15 points in their previous game.
- Rams are 7-18-1 ATS in their last 26 games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Rams are 7-18-1 ATS in their last 26 games after allowing less than 250 total yards in their previous game.
- Rams are 15-39-1 ATS in their last 55 games after allowing less than 150 yards passing in their previous game.
- Rams are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games in Week 3.
- Under is 5-0 in Chargers last 5 games after allowing less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Under is 7-0 in Chargers last 7 games in Week 3.
- Under is 6-1 in Chargers last 7 road games.
- Under is 4-1 in Chargers last 5 games on grass.
- Under is 4-1 in Chargers last 5 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Under is 10-3 in Chargers last 13 games overall.
- Under is 6-2-1 in Chargers last 9 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 19-7 in Chargers last 26 games after scoring more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Under is 27-10-1 in Chargers last 38 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 7-3 in Chargers last 10 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 5-0 in Rams last 5 games after allowing less than 150 yards passing in their previous game.
- Over is 5-0 in Rams last 5 games after allowing less than 250 total yards in their previous game.
- Over is 7-1 in Rams last 8 games after allowing less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Over is 4-1 in Rams last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 6-2 in Rams last 8 home games.
- Over is 5-2 in Rams last 7 games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Over is 15-6-1 in Rams last 22 games in Week 3.
- Over is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings.