Boston (25-7) at Indiana (17-13)
When: Monday, December 18th 2017
Where: Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
Time: 7:05 ET | TV: NBCSN Boston, FSN Indiana
Opening Odds: Boston -3.5/208.5
The Indiana Pacers ended a six-game road trip in ugly fashion when they dropped the last two after winning the first four, then bounced back last night with a solid road victory over the Brooklyn Nets. Indiana was not looking ahead to tonight’s big matchup with the East-leading Boston Celtics at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Shooting guard Victor Oladipo recorded his second consecutive 26-point outing, but his effort against the Nets was an extremely efficient 9-of-14 including 4-of-6 from three-point land. Boston has been leading the Eastern Conference since the first week of the season, but the hard-charging Toronto Raptors and Cleveland Cavaliers are nipping at their heels. The Celtics have lost three of their seven games in the last 10 days and haven’t won two in a row since December 2nd and 4th. Boston rolled out to a 19-point first quarter lead on the Memphis Grizzlies on Saturday then were outscored by 21 points over the next two quarters before coming away with a 102-93 road win. The Celtics swept the three games with Indiana last season and won the first meeting in 2017-18 on November 25th, 108-98.
Boston’s outcomes lately seem to rely on the play of rookie forward Jayson Tatum, who recorded 19 points, nine rebounds, two blocks and two steals at Memphis on Saturday. Tatum, who leads the NBA in three-point shooting (51.0%), is averaging 15 points while shooting 58.6% overall in the team’s last three wins and 5.5 on 2-of-13 shooting in the two losses. Tatum led Boston with nine rebounds in helping his team gain a 42-38 advantage on the glass one game after they were outrebounded 55-31 in a loss to Utah.
Myles Turner scored 16 points against the Nets and is averaging 20.0 on 15-of-25 shooting over his last two games while continuing to lead the league in blocks (2.4). Rookie Domantas Sabonis came off the bench to record 17 points, eight rebounds and three blocks at Brooklyn as Indiana won the battle of the boards by 14. Sabonis is one of the best 6th-men in the league, averaging 12.1 points and 8.4 rebounds. Turner and Sabonis combined for 36 points and 13 rebounds in the loss to Boston last month in a game Oladipo missed due to a bruised knee.
I like the way Indiana is playing right now and Oladipo has been a terrific addition to this team. Boston has slowed down a little bit after a hot start and I think they go down tonight in Indianapolis.
Pick: Pacers +2.5
- Celtics are 9-3-1 ATS in their last 13 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Celtics are 20-7-2 ATS in their last 29 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Celtics are 20-7 ATS in their last 27 road games.
- Celtics are 18-7-2 ATS in their last 27 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Celtics are 28-11-2 ATS in their last 41 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Celtics are 25-10-1 ATS in their last 36 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Celtics are 26-12 ATS in their last 38 Monday games.
- Celtics are 33-16-2 ATS in their last 51 games overall.
- Pacers are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 Monday games.
- Pacers are 20-8 ATS in their last 28 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Pacers are 14-30-1 ATS in their last 45 games playing on 0 days rest.
- Over is 6-1 in Celtics last 7 Monday games.
- Over is 10-2 in Celtics last 12 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Over is 8-2 in Celtics last 10 road games.
- Over is 12-4 in Celtics last 16 overall.
- Under is 12-4-1 in Celtics last 17 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 20-8-1 in Celtics last 29 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Over is 7-3 in Celtics last 10 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Under is 16-7-2 in Celtics last 25 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Over is 5-1 in Pacers last 6 Monday games.
- Under is 4-1 in Pacers last 5 overall.
- Under is 4-1 in Pacers last 5 home games.
- Over is 6-2 in Pacers last 8 games playing on 0 days rest.
- Under is 6-2 in Pacers last 8 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Over is 6-2 in Pacers last 8 vs. NBA Atlantic.
- Under is 8-3 in Pacers last 11 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 5-2 in Pacers last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 7-3 in Pacers last 10 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Celtics are 4-0 ATS in the last 4 meetings.
- Favorite is 6-0 ATS in the last 6 meetings.
- Celtics are 6-2 ATS in the last 8 meetings in Indiana.
- Under is 8-3-1 in the last 12 meetings in Indiana.
- Under is 7-3 in the last 10 meetings.