Butler (10-3, 0-0) at Georgetown (10-1, 0-0)
When: Wednesday, December 27th 2017
Where: Capital One Arena, Washington, DC
Time: 6:30 ET | TV: FOX Sports 1
Opening Odds: Butler -3/145
Georgetown legend Patrick Ewing will get his first taste of the Hoyas/Butler Bulldogs competitive rivalry when both teams open-up Big East Conference play on Wednesday night in the Nation’s Capital. The Bulldogs are coming off an easy win last Thursday as they made 18 3-pointers – a Hinkle Fieldhouse record – in crushing Western Illinois 107-46 while the Hoyas used an 18-2 run to put away Alabama A&M 89-49. Since the 2009-10 season, Butler and Georgetown have played all 10 meetings very close with each being decided by single digits with an average margin of victory of 5.7 points. Butler’s best player Kelan Martin has averaged 22.0 points and 7.2 rebounds in his last four matchups against the Hoyas, while Georgetown’s Jessie Govan (leading returning scorer), has failed to make much of an impact aside from a 20-point game in the second meeting last season. The Bulldogs are 9-0 when scoring 70 or more points and are 8-0 when shooting for a higher percentage than their opponent.
Martin is 11th on Butler’s all-time scoring list with 1,537 points after passing Roosevelt Jones, Wayne Burris and Shelvin Mack. The Bulldogs have a solid group of players to complement Martin, including Kamar Baldwin, Paul Jorgensen and Tyler Wideman, all of whom score in double figures. Baldwin’s shooting percentage is down from last season, but his points, rebounds and assists are all up, while Jorgensen has come over from George Washington to be one of the team’s top 3-point shooters at 43.9%. Butler will host No. 1 Villanova on Saturday.
Govan is ranked fourth in the country in rebounds (12.1) and second in defensive rebounds per game (8.5) for the Hoyas, who hold a slight 6-4 edge in the contested series. Ewing will have a decision to make on who to start at point guard between Jonathan Mulmore or Jagan Mosely. Mulmore has been the starter for much of the season, but was badly outplayed by Mosely in the Hoyas’ lone loss to Syracuse. Mosely has a 42-27 edge in points and a 19-11 advantage in rebounds over the last four games, but Mulmore has recorded more assists (16-12) over that same span. The Hoyas next game will be at Marquette this weekend.
Butler is the better overall team, but we know how tough it is to win on the road in conference play. Georgetown will be ready for Ewing’s first Big East game as coach, while the Bulldogs could be caught looking ahead to Villanova. These games are always close, so you have to take the points, especially when the home team is getting them.
Pick: Georgetown +4
- Bulldogs are 7-0 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Bulldogs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Bulldogs are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Bulldogs are 23-11-1 ATS in their last 35 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Bulldogs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Bulldogs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after scoring more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Bulldogs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Bulldogs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Hoyas are 17-36 ATS in their last 53 games following a straight up win.
- Hoyas are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 Wednesday games.
- Hoyas are 8-20 ATS in their last 28 home games.
- Hoyas are 4-10 ATS in their last 14 games overall.
- Hoyas are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Hoyas are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Hoyas are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Hoyas are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 vs. Big East.
- Hoyas are 2-10 ATS in their last 12 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Hoyas are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Over is 5-0 in Bulldogs last 5 overall.
- Over is 4-0 in Bulldogs last 4 games following a straight up win.
- Over is 5-0-1 in Bulldogs last 6 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points.
- Over is 3-1-1 in Bulldogs last 5 games after scoring more than 90 points in their previous game.
- Over is 5-2 in Bulldogs last 7 vs. Big East.
- Under is 4-0 in Hoyas last 4 Wednesday games.
- Over is 4-0 in Hoyas last 4 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Under is 11-2 in Hoyas last 13 home games.
- Under is 4-1 in Hoyas last 5 vs. Big East.
- Under is 4-1 in Hoyas last 5 games following a ATS win.
- Under is 8-3 in Hoyas last 11 overall.
- Under is 35-16 in Hoyas last 51 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Under is 58-28 in Hoyas last 86 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Over is 4-0 in the last 4 meetings.
- Bulldogs are 4-0 ATS in the last 4 meetings in Georgetown.
- Bulldogs are 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- Road team is 6-1 ATS in the last 7 meetings.