Boise State (10-1) at Southern Methodist (8-3)
When: Monday, December 18th 2017
Where: Moody Coliseum, Dallas, TX
Time: 9:00 ET | TV: ESPNU
Opening Odds: SMU -7.5
The Boise State Broncos already have one resume-building victory under their belts and will try for another when they visit the SMU Mustangs in Dallas on Monday night. The Broncos made the most of their one and only road game thus far when they snapped Oregon’s NCAA-best 46-game home court win streak, 73-70, on December 1st thanks to a buzzer-beating half-court shot by senior guard Lexus Williams. SMU currently owns a 29-game winning streak at Moody Coliseum which includes a 72-55 victory over then No. 14 USC on December 3rd in a rematch of their NCAA tournament first-round game. Williams, a graduate transfer from Valparaiso, drained another huge shot on Wednesday when his 3-pointer at the buzzer, sent the game to overtime against WAC favorite Grand Canyon. Boise State eventually won the game 85-80 in double-overtime to improve to 10-1 on the season. This will be Boise’s last non-conference game before heading into Mountain West play.
The Broncos spread the scoring around with four players who average at least 10.8 points per game led by sophomore guard Justinian Jessup (15.5) who also has made a team-leading 41 three-pointers. The best player on the team is senior guard Chandler Hutchison, who was named the Mountain West’s Preseason Player of the Year, and is second in scoring (15.3) and also leads the team in rebounding (8.8) and assists (4.2). Hutchison had 27 points and 11 rebounds against Grand Canyon, his 10th career 20-point, 10-rebound game. Senior forward Christian Sengfelder (11.7) and sophomore guard Alex Hobbs (10.8) also are averaging in double figures.
The Mustangs are extremely aggressive on defense and give teams fits. They lead the American Athletic Conference in scoring defense (60.6) and have allowed more than 67 points in only one game this season. They also lead the conference with a +4.2 turnover margin. All five starters average in double figures led by junior guard Shake Milton (17.8), followed by junior guard Jarrey Foster (15.0). Freshman forward Ethan Chargois, who is 235 pounds, averages 13.0 and is one of 18 freshmen nationally averaging at least 13.0 points and 5.0 rebounds per game. Monday’s game will mark the first of a rare back-to-back for SMU, who will host Cal Poly on Tuesday night before getting a full week off.
This will be a test for Boise, but they have the shooting ability and experience to handle this situation. SMU isn’t a very good shooting team and rank near the bottom of Division I in free-throw shooting at 67.3%. I fully expect Boise to keep this one close throughout.
Pick: Boise State +7.5
- Broncos are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 non-conference games.
- Broncos are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games overall.
- Broncos are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Broncos are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Broncos are 4-9 ATS in their last 13 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Mustangs are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Mustangs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Mustangs are 14-3 ATS in their last 17 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Mustangs are 20-6 ATS in their last 26 home games.
- Mustangs are 22-7-1 ATS in their last 30 games overall.
- Mustangs are 21-7 ATS in their last 28 games following a straight up win.
- Mustangs are 21-7 ATS in their last 28 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Mustangs are 4-10 ATS in their last 14 vs. Mountain West.
- Under is 5-0 in Broncos last 5 road games.
- Under is 4-0 in Broncos last 4 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 4-0 in Broncos last 4 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 5-1 in Broncos last 6 road games following three or more consecutive home games.
- Under is 9-3 in Broncos last 12 overall.
- Under is 9-3 in Broncos last 12 Monday games.
- Under is 20-7 in Broncos last 27 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 21-8 in Broncos last 29 non-conference games.
- Under is 7-3 in Broncos last 10 games following a straight up win.
- Under is 3-0-1 in Mustangs last 4 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 3-0-1 in Mustangs last 4 vs. Mountain West.
- Under is 7-0-1 in Mustangs last 8 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 4-1 in Mustangs last 5 overall.
- Under is 4-1-1 in Mustangs last 6 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
- Under is 8-2 in Mustangs last 10 non-conference games.
- Under is 3-1-1 in Mustangs last 5 home games.
- Over is 9-4-1 in Mustangs last 14 games following a straight up win.
- Broncos are 2-5 ATS in the last 7 meetings.