Chicago (18-14-6) at NY Rangers (21-13-5)
When: Wednesday, January 3rd 2018
Where: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
Time: 8:05 ET | TV: NBC Sports Network
Opening Odds: New York -150/6
The struggling Chicago Blackhawks look to cap-off their six-game road trip with a victory when they visit the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday Rivalry Night on NBC Sports Network. The Blackhawks had won five in a row before the road trip, but they only have one victory in the first five games (1-3-1) and have dropped seven of their last nine away from home (2-5-2). Ex-Ranger Artem Anisimov recorded a third-period hat trick against New York in mid-November, but he will miss the game due to an upper-body injury suffered in Edmonton on December 29th. The Rangers will come in from the cold after a victorious Winter Classic victory over the Buffalo Sabres on New Year’s Day in which goaltender Henrik Lundqvist improved to 4-0-0 lifetime in outdoor games after making 31 saves. However, Lundqvist’s last outing against the Blackhawks was unforgettable when he was yanked in the third period of a 6-3 loss at Chicago on November 15th. Lundqvist is tied with Tony Esposito for No. 8 on the NHL’s career wins list with 423.
With Corey Crawford back on injured reserve for the second time this season, Jeff Glass made his NHL debut at age 32 and earned the victory with a 42-save effort at Edmonton last Friday. Glass, who stopped 35 shots in Sunday’s 4-3 overtime loss at Calgary, will make his third consecutive start. Captain Jonathan Toews and Brandon Saad each snapped six-game point droughts with a goal and an assist versus the Flames. Toews has five goals and 10 points in 13 games versus the Rangers.
J.T. Miller has found the scoring touch after netting only one goal during a 17-game stretch, scoring four times in the past eight games, including the overtime winner to beat the Sabres on Monday. Coach Alain Vigneault moved Miller on a line alongside Mika Zibanejad and Mats Zuccarello at Tuesday’s practice in hopes that it can get Zibanejad going offensively. Zibanejad scored in the loss at Chicago in November but he is mired in an eight-game point drought. The Rangers were 1-for-3 on the power play Monday after failing in their previous 15 chances.
Chicago is struggling and they’re at a huge disadvantage in net. The Blackhawks have also been on the road for a while and may be a little sluggish as Wednesday’s game rolls along. I’ll take the home team.
Pick: Rangers -145
- Blackhawks are 5-1 in their last 6 games playing on 2 days rest.
- Blackhawks are 4-1 in their last 5 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Blackhawks are 10-4 in their last 14 vs. Metropolitan.
- Blackhawks are 3-9 in their last 12 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Blackhawks are 1-4 in their last 5 overall.
- Blackhawks are 1-4 in their last 5 road games.
- Blackhawks are 2-10 in their last 12 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Rangers are 13-3 in their last 16 home games.
- Rangers are 11-5 in their last 16 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Rangers are 35-17 in their last 52 vs. Western Conference.
- Rangers are 1-4 in their last 5 vs. Central.
- Rangers are 1-6 in their last 7 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Under is 6-1 in Blackhawks last 7 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Under is 5-1-1 in Blackhawks last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Under is 3-1-1 in Blackhawks last 5 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Under is 3-1-1 in Blackhawks last 5 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Under is 5-2 in Blackhawks last 7 games playing on 2 days rest.
- Under is 35-16-12 in Blackhawks last 63 vs. Metropolitan.
- Under is 4-0 in Rangers last 4 overall.
- Under is 4-0 in Rangers last 4 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Under is 6-1 in Rangers last 7 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Under is 4-1 in Rangers last 5 games following a win.
- Under is 4-1 in Rangers last 5 home games.
- Over is 7-2 in Rangers last 9 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of less than .400.
- Over is 6-2 in Rangers last 8 vs. Western Conference.
- Over is 8-3 in Rangers last 11 vs. Central.
- Blackhawks are 4-1 in the last 5 meetings in New York.
- Under is 6-2-1 in the last 9 meetings.
- Road team is 6-1 in the last 7 meetings.
Trends courtesy of SportsOptions.com – an UltimateCapper.com partner