Chicago (7-6-2) at Philadelphia (7-6-2)
When: Thursday, November 9th 2017
Where: Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA
Time: 7:05 ET | TV: NBCSN Chicago, NBCSN Philadelphia
Opening Odds: Philadelphia -120/5.5
The Philadelphia Flyers look to get back on track and continue their dominance at home in their series with the Chicago Blackhawks when the two teams meet on Thursday night at Wells Fargo Center. The Blackhawks are seeking more offense and will change things up on Thursday, reuniting former Hart Trophy winner Patrick Kane and captain Jonathan Toews to the same line. After seeing his team score more than three goals just once in its last 13 games, coach Joel Quenneville is pairing the two superstars with Patrick Sharp on Thursday. That line excelled during the 2009-10 season as well as a memorable 2013 second-round playoff series versus Detroit. While no one scored as Chicago was blanked by Montreal on Sunday for its fourth loss in six games, Philadelphia is in the same boat with losses in five of their last seven games after a 5-4 shootout loss to Colorado on Saturday. The Flyers have won 14 regular season games in a row at home against the Blackhawks, although Kane and the Blackhawks skated away with the Stanley Cup in Philadelphia during a Game 6 triumph in 2010.
The Blackhawks got the better of Philadelphia on November 1st thanks to a goal from Toews, an assist from Kane, and a 35-save effort from goalie Corey Crawford in the 3-0 win. Kane has tortured the Flyers throughout his career, recording 14 points (four goals, 10 assists) in 12 career regular-season meetings. Despite Crawford’s shutout over the Flyers last week, his record against them stands at 2-3-0, the same mark he has in his last five games overall despite allowing just five goals in that span. Defenseman Gustav Forsling is expected to be back in the lineup on Thursday after missing three-games with a head injury.
Bruising defenseman Radko Gudas (team-leading 40 penalty minutes) is expected to return to action for the first time in a week after receiving an elbow to the head from Chicago’s Brandon Saad. There are sure to be some fireworks if this game gets out of hand. Goalie Michal Neuvirth, who has sandwiched rough starts around his lone shutout of the season, is expected to get the start versus a Chicago team against which he owns a 2-2-0 mark with one shutout in five career meetings. The Flyers could use a quick start, as they’ve allowed the first goal in five of their last six contests. Rookie forward Nolan Patrick, who was the second overall pick of the 2017 draft, will sit out his seventh consecutive game with a suspected concussion.
This should be an entertaining matchup as these teams have an underrated rivalry going. Neuvirth has been very inconsistent and I think the line shakeup by Chicago will prove to be a good move. I like the Blackhawks in this one.
Pick: Blackhawks +100
- Blackhawks are 7-0 in their last 7 vs. Metropolitan.
- Blackhawks are 57-28 in their last 85 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Blackhawks are 7-16 in their last 23 overall.
- Blackhawks are 2-6 in their last 8 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Blackhawks are 3-9 in their last 12 road games.
- Blackhawks are 3-13 in their last 16 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Blackhawks are 1-5 in their last 6 Thursday games.
- Flyers are 7-1 in their last 8 after allowing 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Flyers are 2-5 in their last 7 overall.
- Flyers are 1-4 in their last 5 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Flyers are 1-4 in their last 5 vs. Central.
- Flyers are 1-4 in their last 5 home games.
- Flyers are 1-4 in their last 5 vs. Western Conference.
- Flyers are 0-4 in their last 4 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Flyers are 0-4 in their last 4 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Over is 4-0-1 in Blackhawks last 5 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
- Under is 5-0-1 in Blackhawks last 6 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Over is 7-1-2 in Blackhawks last 10 when their opponent allows 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Under is 4-1 in Blackhawks last 5 overall.
- Over is 7-2-2 in Blackhawks last 11 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 17-5-5 in Blackhawks last 27 road games.
- Under is 6-2-1 in Blackhawks last 9 Thursday games.
- Under is 32-12-12 in Blackhawks last 56 vs. Metropolitan.
- Under is 9-4-1 in Blackhawks last 14 games playing on 3 or more days rest.
- Over is 25-12-15 in Blackhawks last 52 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Over is 4-0-1 in Flyers last 5 after allowing 5 goals or more in their previous game.
- Over is 6-1 in Flyers last 7 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Over is 5-1 in Flyers last 6 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Over is 5-1-1 in Flyers last 7 games playing on 3 or more days rest.
- Over is 7-2 in Flyers last 9 home games.
- Under is 7-2 in Flyers last 9 vs. Central.
- Under is 10-3-2 in Flyers last 15 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Under is 7-3 in Flyers last 10 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Under is 13-6-1 in Flyers last 20 vs. Western Conference.
- Under is 3-0-1 in the last 4 meetings in Philadelphia.
- Under is 5-1-2 in the last 8 meetings.
- Home team is 21-5 in the last 26 meetings.
- Blackhawks are 10-22 in the last 32 meetings.
- Blackhawks are 1-15 in the last 16 meetings in Philadelphia.
Trends courtesy of SportsOptions.com – an UltimateCapper.com partner