Philadelphia (24-21) at Oklahoma City (29-20)
When: Sunday, January 28th 2018
Where: Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City, OK
Time: 6:05 ET | TV: ESPN
Opening Odds: Oklahoma City -4.5/214
A couple of hot squads will square off Sunday night on ESPN as the Oklahoma City Thunder host the rising Philadelphia 76ers at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The Sixers had a terrible December, but started picking things up on Christmas Day with a win at New York and have won 10 of their last 13 overall including an impressive 97-78 triumph at San Antonio last time out. Philadelphia has climbed all the way up to the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference standings – only a game out of fifth place. The Thunder have won 17 straight meetings with the Sixers dating back to November of 2008, and including a triple-overtime thriller at Philadelphia earlier this season when Joel Embiid and Oklahoma City superstar Russell Westbrook engaged in some trash talk. Westbrook recorded his 94th career triple-double with 31 points, 13 assists and 11 rebounds in Saturday’s 121-108 win at Detroit and are on a seven-game winning streak, during which they’ve averaged 115.6 points.
Philadelphia rookie star Ben Simmons has broken out of a mini-slump in a big way during the team’s current two-game winning streak. He first posted a triple-double of 19 points, 17 rebounds and 14 assists against Chicago before recording 21 points on 10-of-11 shooting in the rout of the Spurs. Embiid, who had 18 points and 13 boards against the Spurs, recorded 34 points, eight rebounds and six assists in 49 minutes in the loss to the Thunder earlier this season. Backup shooting guard Justin Anderson (5.6 points) is coming off back-to-back 12-point outings in which he has made 10 of his 14 shots from the floor. Philadelphia will continue their four-game road trip in Milwaukee tomorrow night.
The win over Detroit was mostly positive except for the reported ruptured patellar tendon suffered by guard Andre Roberson. Carmelo Anthony became the the 21st player in NBA history to reach 25,000 career points during the win over Detroit. Paul George, who was named as a replacement in the All-Star Game for the injured DeMarcus Cousins, chipped in 26 points Saturday and is averaging 27 in the past four games. Westbrook is averaging 36.3 points on a sizzling 56.4% shooting over his last three games, while center Steven Adams has drained 11-of-16 from the field in the past two. The Thunder will hit the road for two games after Sunday with the first stop in Washington on Tuesday.
I really wan to take the Sixers in this one, but Oklahoma City is really playing well right now, especially their big three. Look for Philly to keep this one close, but the Thunder will pull away in the final quarter.
Pick: Thunder -4
- 76ers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- 76ers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- 76ers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- 76ers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games playing on 1 days rest.
- 76ers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games overall.
- 76ers are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 Sunday games.
- 76ers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- 76ers are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 vs. NBA Northwest.
- 76ers are 46-20-1 ATS in their last 67 vs. Western Conference.
- Thunder are 10-4-1 ATS in their last 15 vs. NBA Atlantic.
- Thunder are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 home games.
- Thunder are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 Sunday games.
- Under is 5-0 in 76ers last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 5-0 in 76ers last 5 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Over is 6-1 in 76ers last 7 Sunday games.
- Under is 6-1 in 76ers last 7 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Under is 6-2 in 76ers last 8 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Under is 21-8 in 76ers last 29 vs. NBA Northwest.
- Over is 7-3 in 76ers last 10 vs. Western Conference.
- Over is 4-0 in Thunder last 4 vs. NBA Atlantic.
- Over is 7-2 in Thunder last 9 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Under is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings in Oklahoma City.
- Under is 8-2 in the last 10 meetings.
- Home team is 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.
- 76ers are 5-12 ATS in the last 17 meetings.
- Underdog is 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings.
- 76ers are 1-4 ATS in the last 5 meetings in Oklahoma City.